Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can scan to my computer for JPG or PDF successfully, but I cannot scan for OCR to my computer
I need to scan for OCR to my computer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @KenSS96392,

Thank you for reaching HP Community. I would be happy to help!

I understand you are unable to scan with Optical Character Recognition (OCR).

Source:  HP Printers - Scanning from the Computer with HP Scan (Windows)

To scan a text document that you can edit, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software from HP or a third-party vendor must be installed on your computer.

Open HP Scan, then look for a Save as Editable Text (OCR) shortcut.

• If the shortcut displays, load the document on the scanner glass or into the ADF, then click Scan. The printer scans the item as an editable Text (TXT) or Rich Text file (RTF) that you can then edit.
  • If the shortcut does not display, your printer did not ship with HP OCR software. To scan as editable text, you can install software from a third-party vendor such as OmniPage, FineReader, or Readiris. HP recommends that you contact the vendor to see if your printer is compatible, and for steps to use the software.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!  

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @KenSS96392,

Thank you for reaching HP Community. I would be happy to help!

I understand you are unable to scan with Optical Character Recognition (OCR).

Source:  HP Printers - Scanning from the Computer with HP Scan (Windows)

To scan a text document that you can edit, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software from HP or a third-party vendor must be installed on your computer.

Open HP Scan, then look for a Save as Editable Text (OCR) shortcut.

• If the shortcut displays, load the document on the scanner glass or into the ADF, then click Scan. The printer scans the item as an editable Text (TXT) or Rich Text file (RTF) that you can then edit.
  • If the shortcut does not display, your printer did not ship with HP OCR software. To scan as editable text, you can install software from a third-party vendor such as OmniPage, FineReader, or Readiris. HP recommends that you contact the vendor to see if your printer is compatible, and for steps to use the software.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!  

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I don't see any place to click:  “Accept as Solution”  on my screen
I did click " Kudos Thumbs Up "
Thank you,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.