Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've setup a network share on my laptop which is public and where everyone has read/write access. This share is named ...

\\ComputerName\scans

I have gone into "Manage Advanced Sharing Settings > All Networds > Turn OFF Password Protected Sharing" on the host computer.

I can now add and remove files from other devices on the same network (wifi) as this computer without having to provide any credentials. This folder is effectively publically accessible by all on the network. Allow discovery by other computers is switched on for the computer hosting the share. I can even access this shared folder buy pasting the name into a browser on any other device on the same network. The printer is on the same network and I have run through the "Scan to Network Folder" wizard and have selected "No credentials" for Log-in Authentication Option as this isn't required. 

When completing the wizard and testing the connection the following error is returned.

"Incorrect credentials. Check your username/password and try again"

Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Cazpian 

I can offer a couple of ideas...

For example:

• Use the IP address for the computer name (as opposed to the "computer name" reference in the Profile.
  • To Test (optional) > Consider creating a Test folder in the Public user account.
  • Check the permissions, when all else fails, consider editing the permission settings on the Shared folder used to receive the scan data.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Network Folder > Network Folder Setup

Example - Scan to Network Folder - setup and options

EWS_9025_Scan-to-Network-Folder_5EWS_9025_Scan-to-Network-Folder_5

References

Microsoft How-to > Share your network printer

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.