Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay033nz (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unable to load product software for the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw and I keep getting the "Error -2147467259: Failed to find drive packages to process" Have been through all the suggested fixes and tried downloading and using the HP Print and Scan Doctor without success. I can only presume that the software itself is somehow corrupted. Anyone with any tips on my next step?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for replying to the post.

I can recommend you to install a lighter version of the software which is known as HP Smart.

The HP Smart Software is an App and is much more compatible, easy to install and use.

You can perform Print/Scan and other functions like syncing print and scan documents to other devices.

Below is the link for HP Smart, Please download and Install. 

If you are a first time user then you need to create an account with basic details and then add the printer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Please let me know how the HP Smart software installation went through.

Thanks 

I´m an HP employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for contacting HP.

As I see you have an issue installing the printer software, do not worry, I am providing you a link to download the latest printer software,

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m280-m281-multifunc...

Above is the link to download the latest printer software.

Please download and Install.

Choose the preferred connection type USB, Wired Ethernet or Wi Fi and proceed further.

For Ethernet and Wi Fi the printer should be pre configured over network and for USB, connect a USB cable between the printer and the PC.

Always ensure to have the printer kept Powered On during the installation.

For further assistance please reply to the post.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi Garry, already downloaded the latest software and it won't work. As soon as I try to load it it comes back with the error message. What I have done in the meantime is try to load the software package CD that came with the printer. It goes through the motions and tells me that installation is complete but when i look into my menu nothing relating to the printer is there.

I should also give you some background on this, it may help. I had the software loaded and running on this laptop fine until a few days ago when I installed a new SSD into the computer. Following a cloning and reboot everything works fine, but I couldn't print on this MFP M281 printer. Tried to do an uninstall but got a message below.

RONCH_1-1590759373119.png

That's when I tried to do a full fresh install and got the original error message. I have now tried to run the software downloaded from your hyperlink and this is the current message I get.

RONCH_2-1590760027142.png

You may notice from the previous screen shot that we also have a MFP M177 running on this network, and it is fine all singing all dancing. Both printer/scanners are on same wired private network that is displaying no problems.

Very Best Regards,

RON

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for replying to the post.

I can recommend you to install a lighter version of the software which is known as HP Smart.

The HP Smart Software is an App and is much more compatible, easy to install and use.

You can perform Print/Scan and other functions like syncing print and scan documents to other devices.

Below is the link for HP Smart, Please download and Install. 

If you are a first time user then you need to create an account with basic details and then add the printer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Please let me know how the HP Smart software installation went through.

Thanks 

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi Garry, thanks very much for the prompt feedback on this issue. I did a clean-up of all the printer software and loaded the HP Smart app as you suggested. All works fine now, I can control both printers on the network via this app. Have set it up on all other computers on the network successfully and all functions (print/scan/fax) working fine.

Still a bit weird that the MFP M281 full package doesn't install, but hey-ho at least I have everything working now.

Once again thank you very much for the support. I'm a happy customer once again.

Best Regards,

RON

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am glad I was able to help you with a more efficient and alternate software and the printer works fine.

If you need any further assistance on any of the HP Products, please contact us via any of the channels.

Regards,

Garry

I´m an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.