Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I recently came across duing a move a forgotten HP Photosmart 8250 that I purchased new aroundj15 years ago.  After all this time, I unboxed it and tired to get it going.  It powered up just fine.  The problem came when I installed the original ink tanks that came with the machine.  The instructions state that you have to use those specific tanks to initialize the printer. It would not let me go further.  I unplugged the printer and let it set for over 10 seconds as instructed to see if the error message would go away.  It did not.  I then installed the replacement HP tanks that were the same age as the originals.  I got a message that the original tanks must be the ones used for initialization.  What can I do to overcome this obstacle.  I found one place that says that they still sell the correct HP ink tanks, but are currently out of stock.  I do not really want to lay out $200 if I can even get them and still have the same problem with initializing the printer.  After market tanks are available, but I really do not want to use them to try to initialize the printer.  Any suggestions?  Thank you for reading this.  I can not believe that this printer was buried for such a long time.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @chraland51, 

Welcome to HP Support Community. 
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing ink cartridge issues with your HP Photosmart 8250.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

Treeko
HP Support

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.