Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8024 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

My printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 series) keeps trying to download an update but keeps failing. The printer is connected to the internet with wireless. I tried downloading the update with PC but when I install it the printer is greyed out. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Lori_m1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're experiencing issues downloading an update for your HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 series printer, there are a few steps you can try to resolve the problem.

• Check your internet connection: Ensure that your printer is connected to a stable internet connection. You can do this by checking the Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection on your printer.
  • Restart your printer: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary issues. Turn off your printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few seconds, and then plug it back in and turn it on.
  • Update manually: Instead of relying on the automatic update feature, you can try manually downloading and installing the update. Visit the official HP support website and search for the latest firmware or software update for your specific printer model. Follow the instructions provided to download the update file, and then install it on your printer according to the provided guidelines.
  • Clear print queue: If there are any pending print jobs in the queue, it might interfere with the update process. Clear the print queue on your computer or any connected devices before attempting the update again.
  • Factory reset: As a last resort, you can try performing a factory reset on your printer. Keep in mind that this will remove any custom settings and configurations, so make sure to note them down beforehand. Consult your printer's user manual or the HP support website for instructions on how to perform a factory reset.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I tried factory reset but still no luck. The printer is connected to the internet via wifi as I can print stuff wirelessly. I have also tried updating through PC but the printer was greyed out.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @Lori_m1,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I have this problem as well and I doubt I am the only other one.  Given that HP makes these updates compulsory for its own financial gain, it really should have better online support than simply saying check your internet connection and try turning it off and on again. I don't have four hours spare to ring HP or to 'chat' with an equally unhelpful support bot. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem again, the printer is connected by ethernet and keeps trying to download the update and failing. Tried all the options recommended. The printer is pretty much useless now as it is constantly trying to download and failinga nd not printing. Amazing lack of support from HP.

HP Recommended

@squoze 

Welcome to the HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same issue. Has anyone resolved this? Thanks

HP Recommended

That's very true.. I just turn it off and turn it back on when I need to print stuff so it won't keep trying downloading their update. Funny that other people in this post having the same problem they would reach out to them while they just told me to ring them. 😕

HP Recommended

Hi @Lori_m1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're encountering an issue where an HP printer update could not be downloaded, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem.

• Check your internet connection: Ensure that your device is connected to a stable internet connection. Poor connectivity can hinder the download process. Try accessing other websites or performing a speed test to verify your internet connection's reliability.
  • Restart the printer and computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Turn off your printer and computer, wait for a few seconds, and then turn them back on. After the reboot, attempt to download the update again.
  • Clear cache and temporary files: Accumulated cache and temporary files can interfere with the downloading process. Clear the cache and temporary files on your web browser and try downloading the update again.
  • Disable firewall or antivirus software temporarily: Occasionally, firewall or antivirus software may block the download. Temporarily disable them and attempt to download the update once more. Remember to re-enable your security software afterward.
  • Use a different browser: If you're experiencing issues with a particular web browser, try using a different one to download the update. Sometimes, browser-specific issues can arise, so attempting an alternate browser can help resolve the problem.
  • Download from the official HP website: Instead of relying on automatic updates, visit the official HP website and manually download the update for your specific printer model. Ensure that you're downloading the correct updated version compatible with your printer.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.