Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OFficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get:

There is an error communicating with the printer.  Check your USB connection and verify that the printer is ready.  

How would I check USB connection? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Vrn624

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting USB connection issue.

1. Turn off the printer and your computer, and then disconnect the USB cable from the computer.

2. Inspect the cable.

• Look for any damage. If the cable is damaged, replace the cable.

• Check the length of the cable. If the cable is more than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length, replace the cable with one that is shorter.

3. Connect the cable to a different USB port on the computer. The port should be USB 2.0 or greater. If you use a USB hub or docking station, connect the cable directly to the computer.

4. Make sure the cable is fully secured to both ports.

5. Turn on the computer, and then wait for the computer to complete the startup.

6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for steps to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I followed all your instructions for a fix (even went so far to purchase a new cable as the old one was 5 meters) but the issue is still persisting and the printer is having trouble being connected to the PC via USB cable. 

Can you please offer any other advice.

Thanks

Edit - Product: HP OfficeJet Pro 6960

HP Recommended

@Kdan88

Did you try using a different USB cable?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

then, use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check the connectivity.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor is open, click Start, and then choose your printer.
    • If your printer is not listed, turn it on and click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in the tool.
  4. Depending on the problem, click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.
  5. Test results are displayed with icons:

A checkmark means your printer passed.

A wrench means a problem was found and fixed.

An exclamation mark means a test failed and was skipped.

An X means the printer has a problem. Follow the instructions to fix it.

6. HP Print and Scan Doctor shortcut is installed on your desktop.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.