Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet F2420
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi, since installing Catalina 10.15.7 my USB deskjet printer F2420 doesn't work due to 'damaged software'. Following guidelines on this Forum I have deleted the printer from the system preferences printer list, downloaded hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg and added the printer again through the system preferences panel. The printer still does't work and has as message: 'waiting for printer to become available'. What can I do to solve this? How do I find the package (under what name) in order to 'run' it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It likely still does. Try things in this order (this is the first time I've posted this exact set):

Use the HP Uninstaller: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02440673
If you still have a folder marked HP, delete it.

Use Easy Start (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-easy-start/7376041 - make sure your OS is correct) and see if your printer is supported. If not, move on to the next steps.

Uninstall your printer USING THIS METHOD ONLY (NOT EASY START, NOT EASY ADMIN): Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Then restart your computer.

Download (and install) this package (From HP FTP) which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen... If the link comes up blank, try right/control clicking and saving it. Or right/control click and copy link, and paste into browser bar. If you get the malware warning part-way through the installation, go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy where you can tick a box and unblock the HP option.

The install takes a bit. Let it run, even if it seems like it stalled out! When it completes, restart.

Then reinstall your printer using: Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, and use the default drivers. If drivers do not show up, download and install the 5.1 driver package from here: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US . Then restart your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Can you verify that you ran the package you downloaded?

HP Recommended

Thanks for coming back. How do I run the package? I know it has been installed - but what is the exact name to find it?

HP Recommended

"downloaded hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg"

It is likely in your downloads folder. Be sure to actually run it.

HP Recommended

Hi BryanCustomPure,

Yes, I have clicked on the pkg file and it ran an installer program.

HP Recommended

OK. Restart. Then go about uninstalling your printer USING THIS METHOD ONLY (NOT EASY START, NOT EASY ADMIN): Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Then restart your computer. The reinstall using the same menu in Printers & Scanners and use the default driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks, it still doesn't work unfortunately...

At first printer seems to be available with a 'green' marker, then an exclamation mark appears and the printer icon in the dock says: Waiting for printer to become available.

And this doesn't happen.

HP Recommended

Have you already tried Easy Start? 

HP Recommended

Yes. Easy Start recognizes the printer but after that it can't find 'automatic software options' for this product - it says.

HP Recommended

Are you using USB or network? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.