Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need to install your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

Sometime ago I contacted your support team regarding changing the size of paper on my printer. I found that all the type of paper sizes were locked in the document properties page. They were able to give another driver/software that worked on my printer and allowed me to customise the paper size longer then set in the document page under custom and save it. I have just re-built my PC and of course I need to use the driver again, unfortunately I do not have the drive anymore. Can you please supply the alteranative driver/software that will enable me to customise the size of paper.

Regards

Dazmo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dazmo

The maximum custom size for height available on this printer is 35cm and cannot be modified any further.

The printer supports up to US Legal paper size which is 8*14

Click here to learn more about the paper handling on HP Envy 5640 printer.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Dazmo

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Installing the HP Full-feature drivers will resolve this issue, let us try these steps:

Step 1: Clean Uninstall the HP drivers that are installed

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers 

Step 2: Install a fresh copy of HP drivers from here

Step 3: Check for windows update

• Open Start Menu and click on Settings > Update & Security settings > Windows Update.
  • Here, press on the Check for updates button.

Step 4: Restart your computer

Step 5: Try to print with the required print settings/paper size

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I did all what you asked and I still have the same problem. In the print preference window all the paper sizes are locked, I need to print a paper size of 640mm x 200mm which is what I could do before i rebuilt my PC due to a masive failure. 

see  image: I had a custom paper size which I could put any size within the max width of A4 but as long as I like by puting two A4 together. Hope this makes sense.

PrinterPreferences .PNG

HP Recommended

@Dazmo

The default shortcuts included with the driver are locked by design. Let us try to install an upgraded printer driver:

Step 1: Check for Windows update

Open Start Menu and click on Settings > Update & Security settings > Windows Update > Check for updates

Step 2: Search windows for Control panel > Icon view > Devices and Printers > Right click on the printer > printer properties > Advanced Tab > click on New driver > Next > Select HP from the list > Choose HP Envy 7640 > Next > Finish > Apply > OK

Step 3: Devices and Printers > Highlight the printer > print server properties at the top > forms > give a new form nameCreate a new form > Paper size > Input width and height > Apply > OK

Step 4: Under paper size/type, select the new form that you created. Check if you are able to add a custom setting under printing shortcut.

Print_Preferences_Template_1.JPG

Step 5: Try to print

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Done what you stated and I can now change and save a shortcut but I'm still unable to pickup the form I saved as you suggested.

So step 4 I'm unable to select the new form.

My OS in windows 10 pro 64bit if that helps.

HP Recommended

Hi

Just found this link in your website  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03890386

Would this work as it has what I need for my series of printer and how can I remove all drivers from my PC? 

HP Recommended

@Dazmo

To create a custom paper size you can refer to the above document mentioned, Click here. This document also informs you how to select a Newly created form where you got stuck while troubleshooting(step 4).

To remove drivers from your PC, Search windows for Control panel > View by category > Programs > Uninstall a program

Note: I do not recommend removing HP drivers as you will not be able to change any print settings.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I decided to install the printer on my second PC (Win 10 64bit) and after playing around and installing the ENVY 7640 software, I managed to customise paper size. Unfortunatley it will only allow me to set the Height to a max. of 35.6cm, I need to adjust this to 64cm. the width is ok and allows me to set it to 20cm with no problems. Almost got it so any ideas on how to get the height to 64cm? I use the printer in Landscape mode to print in the correct format I need.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

@Dazmo

The maximum custom size for height available on this printer is 35cm and cannot be modified any further.

The printer supports up to US Legal paper size which is 8*14

Click here to learn more about the paper handling on HP Envy 5640 printer.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.