Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet V40
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone gotten their OfficeJet V40 working with Win10 v1809?
I have spent a couple of hours so far trying HP solutions; so far, Win10 sees the OfficeJet V40, but does not recognize it as a printer.

Any success stories out there?

Hey, HP, the OfficeJet V40 is listed as "compatible" with Win10.  Either update your support for getting it working, or remove it from the "compatible" list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please extract the saved CAB package using the expand command as listed in the document, or using any archive software such as WinRar or 7-ZIP if any such installed.

Ensure the printer is powered on and connected to your PC.

From the Control Panel select Devices and Printers and click Add Printer.

Click The printer that I want isn't listed.

Select the last option (Local printer or a manual network printer configuration.

Select the listed USB port within the list and press Next.

Click Have Disk and browse to the extracted folder, select the INF file located within the main extracted folder.

Now select the HP Officejet V40 printer from the list, complete the wizard and check if you can print using the newly added print queue.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer is compatible with Windows 10 as listed, its drivers are provided via Microsoft Update.

You may follow the below steps to install it:

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c01796879

If you experience any issues, manually install the drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog, these can be extracted and installed as listed on the Installing drivers section below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/323166/how-to-download-updates-that-include-drivers-and-hot...

The latest drivers for your printer can be downloaded from the below link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2009/07/4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2c...

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I followed the directions at this link - https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c01796879 - but did not find a driver for the OfficeJet V40 printer.

I followed the link to the page about installing drivers; from there I went to the Microsoft Update Catalog; there is no driver for Win10 for the OfficeJet V40 here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Officejet%20V40

I downloaded the driver set from the link you provided.  Unfortunately, a link on the Installing Drivers page describing how to use PnPUitl was broken.

Any other suggestions?  Everything suggested by HP so far has not worked.

HP Recommended

Additionally, the PnPUtil did not install the drivers you sent the link to:

"

The latest drivers for your printer can be downloaded from the below link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2009/07/4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2c...

"

HP Recommended

Please extract the saved CAB package using the expand command as listed in the document, or using any archive software such as WinRar or 7-ZIP if any such installed.

Ensure the printer is powered on and connected to your PC.

From the Control Panel select Devices and Printers and click Add Printer.

Click The printer that I want isn't listed.

Select the last option (Local printer or a manual network printer configuration.

Select the listed USB port within the list and press Next.

Click Have Disk and browse to the extracted folder, select the INF file located within the main extracted folder.

Now select the HP Officejet V40 printer from the list, complete the wizard and check if you can print using the newly added print queue.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

That seems to have worked.

... But I spent an awful lot of time following HP directions found elsewhere before finally getting here.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

hello,

ive been trying to get my v40 to work with win 10 I add it with the usb port under add printer and windows up date got the v 40 in the printer list under HP but It will not print anything and say the printer is offline in the hp smart app, also when I plug the printer to the usb port it picks it right up as a unspecified device. separate from where I see the v40 added in the printers list

not sure if im doing something wrong or is the printer not compatible with win 10.

any help would be appreciated...

HP Recommended

@Ardiev, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below-

Restart the print spooler and try uninstalling the drivers-

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. Follow the steps below-

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

The Add a Device function on a Windows PC assists in the installation of new hardware and drivers. Go to the Search box under your Windows Start button and type Add a Device. Follow the instructions to set up or install new hardware. To add a printer, see Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.