Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 6234
Microsoft Windows 11

I bought a new PC with Windows 11. My old printer HP Envy Photo 6234 is not found by the HP Smart App. I have tried both via Wi-Fi and USB. But Windows 11 Setup finds it(!) via Wi-Fi Direct. Then I can print from Word. But only for a few attempts, then print fails again. I then remove the printer in Setup and install it again. Then I can print av few times. So, the connection to printer is unstable. And HP Smart never finds it. The problem seems to be HP Smart. If I open HP Smart, the printer is reported to be inactive or not connected, while Word sees the printer is Ready. Why is it HP Smart is not able to see a HP Printer, while Windows 11 can see it? I have now uninstalled HP Smart, since it didn't work correctly. I can print but have to reinstall the printer all the time. 

I have followed this guide successfully: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_5866897-5876039-16 , i.e. Downloaded and installed the latest printer software and drivers from 123.hp.com. So, I believe the latest HP driver is installed. The problem is that the installation does not mention the driver. It's only focused on the HP Smart App. But I assume the driver installs in the background, right? 

To summarize: I probably have the latest driver, Windows 11 sees my printer, but HP Smart does not. I can print from Word a few times, but the solution is unstable – I get after a few attempts a print error message, and have to uninstall/reinstall the printer regularly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @oddis60,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

We have to perform a Semi Full Reset to unlock the features of the printer/Reset the password. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @oddis60,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

We have to perform a Semi Full Reset to unlock the features of the printer/Reset the password. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @oddis60,

Hope I was able to fix the issue. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us. 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers and did reply to you!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for helping out! I didn't write that, but the printer and PC actually belongs to my father in law. I'm just helping him. I did one more reinstall of the printer after writing this post, and then for the first time the printer showed up in theHP App during installation. And the printer has been stable after that. My father in law is very much in favour of the "never change a winning team" approach. So he does not want me to try your proposed reset as long as the printer now works. So I have actually not been allowed to try your suggestion. But if it starts failing again, I will certainly try your suggestion first. Thanks again for helping. 

Oddvar

HP Recommended

Hi @oddis60,

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.