Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MacBook Pro
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I have an HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw  and for a while, the scanner is not working anymore. If I open the scanner via System Preferences -> Printers and Scanners I get the following popup mac popup:  You do not have permission to open the application “HP Scanner 3”  then the scanner dialog screen opens with the following message: Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

• BigSur 11.5 (installed from scratch)

I tried the following:

• Restarted the printer
  • Restarted my MacBook
  • Deleted printer from "Prnters and Scanners"
  • Uninstalled old drivers and HP Easy Scan
  • Installed HP Smart

The scanner is working from my Iphone with HP Smart so it is not broken.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Would you look at that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212756 

just look at it would ya?

😎

View solution in original post

90 REPLIES 90
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Scanner 3 is part of a much older HP Software for a Mac, so there probably an incompatibility problem which should be resolved by removing any previous software.

Try following the Resolution section below, be sure to use the HP Uninstaller first and follow the steps to reinstall the software as listed, I believe this should help:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Having-problems-installing-older-HP-Printers-o...

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi, thanks for your reply. I followed the following steps:

• Uninstalled old drivers with HP uninstaller
  • Installed HP driver package
  • Removed printers from "Printer and Scanners" 
  • Added printer in "Printer and Scanners"

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. Still get the following error: You do not have permission to open the application “HP Scanner 3”

Please note that I installed Big Sur from scratch. I didn't upgrade  form an older version.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 11.43.36.png

HP Recommended

I have this same problem, and reinstalling doesn't help because it just installs the "HP Smart" app, which means you have to use that app to use the scanner, and you can't use the "HP Easy Scan" app or the macOS printer preferences.

Why can't the scanner function be used via the standard macOS mechanism? Why do I have to sign in to HP Smart just to scan a document?

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.23.20 pm.png

HP Recommended

I just get the same security block with the HP Uninstaller

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 12.15.22 PM.png

HP Recommended

Hi

I am also having this problem. This appears to have began after an update to Big Sur. I can no-longer use the Apple scan facility. 

HP Recommended

I'm getting the same error message on my LaserJet Pro MFP M148dw.

Mark_Sax_0-1627488338890.png

I just upgraded to Big Sur 11.5.1 last night!  

HP Recommended

I have the same problem after update to Big Sur in last couple of days.

I can't use my scan anything using Laser Jet Pro 200 color MFP  as neither the HP Easy Scan or Mac Preview or Image Capture works.   All give error message:  

You do not have permission to open the application “HP Scanner 3”.

How do I resolve this?

HP Recommended

I’m also I have this issue.

as it looks more and more like either a big sur issue or a hp driver issue… to help support reading this thread: 

I have followed the uninstall steps, using hp uninstall.

reinstalled using up to date Hp Smart software

I am running latest version of big sur 

HP Recommended

Screw HP. Buy something else. HP is an invasive **bleep**.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.