Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4500 Wireless G510n-z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have exactly the same problem as described here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/Constant-error-1603-after-win10-update-...

Previously I had win10 version 1909 and the full printer software installed and worked like a charm.

I have updated my system (HP 8200 Elite) to Windows 10 version 2004. I have uninstalled the previous HP printer software as I already had similar windows update on my laptop where I had to reinstall the sw pack in order for every printer function to work correctly, especially scanning.

Here I am trying the same thing, however, after upgrade to 2004 it's now impossible to reinstall the full feature printer sw pack.

Steps:

1. Ran the installer

2. Selected 'Install'

3. Checked/unchecked the desired software to install

4. After I click 'Next' the installer displays the screen to setup the printer, or check the option to skip this step if the printer has already been set up

5. I get the error dialog:

---------------------------------

"C:\some\path\here\hpzprl40.exe" -inf -m preload_drivers "-wStub" "787384" -l ENU -f "C:\WINDOWS\hpwins28.dat" -Validate No -w 2097602

Fatal error during installation.

----------------------------------

Then the installer tries to recover the installation and rollbacks/uninstalls itself. I get this error from the analyzed logs:

Error Situation Code: 15285591

The following lines were retrieved from the installation error logs.

+00000000000029331456|s|Now Launching=X:\hpzprl40.exe -inf -m preload_drivers -l XXX -f "X:\hpwins28.dat" -Validate No at" -Validate No

SetupINFsListedInDatFile failed with Fatal error during installation.

Exit code=1603

I cannot try the "Create TCP port" solution from the aforementioned post as I have no printer configured. It was removed during the uninstallation.

Can you help? I have already tried some of the proposed solutions mentioned in the previous post. I would like to be able to install the full feature sw pack and not the windows built-in driver which supports very limited functionality.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Pxmi, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for the detailed information. Did you perform a clean reinstallation of the printer driver or did you just uninstall it from the control panel?

Check for any pending Windows update on the PC.

Create a new user account on the PC and try installing the printer software to isolate the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

The reinstallation of the printer software was done following these steps (on version 2004):

1. Running the installer

2. Selecting the 'Uninstall' button

3. Selecting 'Uninstall all HP devices'

After not having been able to install anything, I downgraded windows back to version 1909 to try to reinstall from there. I had to remove all the printer software by hand from the control panel. I also cleaned the pc and registry with CCleaner.

Now I get this issue when trying to selected custom sw components: it says the software is already installed! If I proceed with the installation, only the driver gets installed so I am unable to use advanced functions like scanning.

already_installed.png

I have added a new administrative user account as you suggested but the result is the same. So for now I am using just the built-in driver from Windows (WSD) for printing only. I have tried the HP Smart app and the scanning does not work from there either.

Any further suggestions?

HP Recommended
Spoiler
already_installed.png
HP Recommended

It seems the attached image does not show....

HP Recommended

@Pxmi

I'm able to see the image attached in your post. Thank you. This model printer is not compatible with the HP Smart app.

Let us perform a clean re-installation:

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again,

First 3 steps - I don't see any HP printer listed in order to uninstall it.

In the rest of the steps I have been able to remove the device:

remove_device.png

and the driver:

remove_printer_driver.png

Note that the HP OJ class driver (WSD type) has been removed and not the native driver.

I have downloaded and run the suggested installer and I've got the same image as the initial post (with "already installed" greyed out boxes).

I suspect it has something to do with the registry. Do you have an utility to cleanup the registry as well?

HP Recommended

@Pxmi

You will have to use a third-party app to clean the registry. But, that is not recommended by HP.

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.