Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 9010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had some kind of crash with my HP desktop, but the HP saved my files.  However, I had to reload various programs including the HP 9010 software.  Suddenly, I 1) no longer have pdf searchable as a save option, and 2) the previously quite useful multipage scanning options for scanning photos has disappeared as well.   (I also find HP smart to not be user friendly but I guess I'm stuck with that; I'd settle for fixing the two problems above and calling it a day).  Incidentally, when you use the "virtual agent" to determine options for "pdf searchable" you get back no results.  The utility of the "virtual agent" is not apparent to me but that's a problem for another day as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Can you download and install the FULL featured printer software from HP for your operating system:
HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

The HP FULL software have the PDF searchable option.

These tips will be useful for the printer.

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@bear1066 

There are two flavors of this printer -

HP OfficeJet 9010 All-in-One Printer series and

HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 All-in-One Printer series 

Both indicate they include the OCR feature

Scanner advanced features
OCR (Optical Character Recognition); Smart Task shortcuts: 1-click customizable scan to cloud destinations, email, and print, create editable, searchable documents by scanning from phone or printer; Smart Tasks destinations: Dropbox, Google Drive, One drive, email recipients, print

What if the Full Feature Software did not (does not) automatically install the OCR when the printer software is installed?

You may have to start the installation for the Full Feature Software and select "custom" , "manual", or perhaps a similar sounding selection that  indicates you want to choose what is installed.  When the menu top select opens, look for and select the OCR.

Full Feature Software

HP OfficeJet 9010 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

and, the same software for the 'Pro' versions of the printer:

HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks.  This appears nowhere on the HP website that I could find.  I've tried a couple of times to download and install the pro full version software but it cuts out at the end with an error message about failed internet connection.  The internet connection is fine here, it's rock solid, so I have no idea why it doesn't finish.  I'll restart and download a third time and see what happens.  I really appreciate the advice; why the full software doesn't load in the first place is a mystery.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Can you download and install the FULL featured printer software from HP for your operating system:
HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

The HP FULL software have the PDF searchable option.

These tips will be useful for the printer.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks to you and the earlier poster for pointing me in the direction of the full software.  One tip for others who may run into this problem: you will be presented with two options as the software installs, first, to connect to new hardware and second to reconfigure the wireless on your printer.  If you choose the first, at least for me, you're going to run into trouble with the wireless connection.  After several attempts to install, and getting the same (incorrect) error message about failed internet connections, I tried the second option, didn't change anything, accepted the setup and everything works fine.

This software should load as a first option or at least the website should clearly lay out that the first software option is a light version.  Most consumers buying the 9010 pro HP four in one printer aren't buying it with the idea of using the light software version--there are cheaper HP options for that.  My two cents worth.  Again, thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @bear1066 ,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now. 

My apologies for jumping in, @Dragon-Fur .

Somehow, your post didn't appear when I was replying.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

The full software works great but one thing I've noticed in this version, from the prior version a year ago, is that the ONLY option is PDF.  There is no PDF Searchable option.

How do I select that option?  I have various additional programs on my computer that will do the conversion, but that's an unnecessary step.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

OK, never mind.  I couldn't get the searchable PDF option to appear, but closed everything, did a restart, began again, and all is well with the world.  Or at least with the PDF searchable option.  Problem solved.  Thanks everyone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.