Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there

I happened to have the same problem and it is driving me mad because when you get the technical help from HP it gets worse...

I have a PC  HP pavilion 15-e043 sf (french version produced in france I think) and my printer is an OFFICEJET 5740 that disconnected on its own and wouldnt dot it  again... HP SUPPORT RECOMMENDED  TO UNINSTALL IT but to no avail...

Could anybody tell me in simple words how to uninstall this thing please?????

Thanks a lot...

LK

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I'm experiencing the same issue on my HP Pavilion P 570 when uninstalling the driver package for my HP Officejet Pro 6968.

Error.png

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue also and read your warning about needing to provide the HP products I posses 

I have a HP DESKTOP-GDFCQ6P, and a HP officejet 5252

HP Recommended

Hi @Kyle6011 and @97SpyderGS, you should follow the HP PC Solution section to resolve a such:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Call-to-DriverPackageUninstall-error-5-returns...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have both an HP Officejet 8600 and an HP Officejet 8710.  I was able to fix this problem once, then your **bleep** solution software told me there was a newer package, proceeded to uninstall what I had done and then gave me this error AGAIN when it went to reinstall the newer version.  I should have &*(^@!*(&!!! known better.  

This problem has been a misery.  I lost 4 days working on it once.  It is utterly ridiculous and typical of HP printer software.  I have had nothing but problems over the years.  

I am willing to have you help me fix this with one more try and if this becomes a 4-day problem again then I am buying someone elses printers, which I don't really want to do.  But I have finally had it with HP's inadequate printer software.

HP Recommended

Hello @

is this something we should reset afterwards?  Or is it all good to leave it as is, and if so, will this prevent same issue when next HP printer drivers require updates?

2) I am able to print, scan, etc.  However, after the install, when I click on the shortcut referred to as "HP ColorLaserJet MFP M178-M181", I'm immediately taken to the Windows 10, "Do you want allow this app to make changes to your device?" (DeviceSetup.exe).  if I say yes it gives me a menu to connect a new device or update wireless settings.  Is this the correct behaviour?  Sadly I do not recall what this shortcut provided in the past.  The Target of the shortcut is ""C:\Program Files\HP\HP ColorLaserJet MFP M178-M181\Bin\HP ColorLaserJet MFP M178-M181.exe" -Start UDCDevicePage".

Thanks, 

BKSCH

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I did all this but then got message

“You require  permission from SYSTEM....”

Help!

It’s driving me crazy. 
T

HP Recommended

Hi there.

I was glad to find this thread and thought I could get some help here, as I've had the same error message as mentioned here, but I'm not very good with the very technical sides of computers and don't understand all the terms used in the computer world, so I still need more help to know what to do in my case. So if someone could be so kind to help me out by explaining things to me in an easy way, that would be very good.

Simply explained, here is my situation: I've had a lot of problems with my printer lately, and again and again I've been told that I need to uninstall my printer and install new updates for it, but when I've tried to uninstall my printer, I haven't managed to do so and have gotten the mentioned error message coming again and again, this one to be clear:

"driverpackage uninstalled returned error 5 for package" (partly in Norwegian, as my computer is Norwegian).

I have a HP Envy 4500 printer. I have a Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 on it. I got this computer in the autumn of 2019 and am still not fully familiar with this computer, and I'm still not totally used to using Windows 10.

I am familiar with clicking on things to update things, downloading things and other very common things, but I'm not good at dealing with complicated error messages or complicated texts that tells you what to do, but I believe I can manage well and also do complicated things as long as they are explained about very thoroughly and clearly, so that there is no danger of misunderstandings.

I hope someone can help me.

Friendly greetings from

me, here called "Friendy_77".

HP Recommended

@Friendly_77 Here's a few things that should help resolve this issue, once and for all:

Note

Use these steps for Windows programs. If you're having problems with an app you got from Microsoft Store, go to Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store.

The Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter helps you automatically repair issues when you're blocked from installing or removing programs. It also fixes corrupted registry keys.

First, you'll need to download the troubleshooter.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm sorry this is a response coming a little late. 

Thank you very much for your very helpful email and for welcoming me to the HP community, Riddle_Decipher! 😊

Your help was very helpful. I managed to get my printer uninstalled and then getting it installed again. However, when I wanted to start printing again, I didn't manage to print and had problems like before again, and I used the HP Scan and Print Doctor, and again I was told that I needed to uninstall my printer, so I was back at square one.

I don't know what to do, but I just know that there's something not right with my printer. I keep on being told that it needs to be looked after by the user, but I don't know what to do with it.

I hope someone can help me out.

Have a good day when you've read this!

Friendly_77

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.