Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  Trying to uninstall an HP PageWide MFP 377dw and receiving error 5 message.  This is in my office where there is another printer (same model) also connected to the same wifi signal.  So we have two identical HP printers running on separate computers but sharing the same wifi signal.  Everything works find on the other computer but not this one.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

@Sachi3

See message #17 or message #20

Let me know how it turns out

HP Recommended

This repair also solved the situation I was having with LJ MFP M227fdw printer.  I don't think the printer model is the problem; the repair works because it allows your user to have control of driver files in DriverStore.  GREAT JOB!!!!!

HP Recommended

This helped me too!  And I'm working on an old HP Pavilion g7!!  Thanks for the help!!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this fix.

It's so refreshing to find a true expert that fixes problems and helps people unlike so many of the HP employees on here who have no clue what they are talking about and post useless untested info that doesn't work and fills search engines with dead-end experiments that waste users many hours of their time with no results. HP should clean and delete all posts that don't result in fixes. 

Biggest props to you sir for being a real Pro!

Much respect. 

HP Recommended

I tried this a few times and it doesn't work on my Dell laptop.  Windows 10 64 bit.  Will not uninstall an old printer software HP4520.

HP Recommended

Thanks! These command lines solved my problem! I just had to replace the Y (Yes) by a J (Ja) as the switches seem to depend on the country settings.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, it works really good while trying to perform an MFP M271 Driver / software uninstall, it was giving me the same error, thanks again.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue only on my laptop (my phone, second computer and my husbands computers both work and home do print) on our HP Officejet 6960. I  keep getting the Error 5  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\Filerepository\hpwia_oj6960.inf_a83dd71d56979918\h[wia_oj6960.inf 

I have run the command prompts that have been suggested but my computer doesn't like them. What do I need to change

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy 4670 series, connected to my HP (Windows 10 laptop) over secure wifi. about 2-3 weeks ago HP send an "update" for the printer - i followed instruction to install it and it completely screwed up my connection with the printer. I've tried to call HP but they want to gouge me because the printer is out of warranty. The printer works fine connected (also by wifi) to my wife's computer and my IOS devices. It's my laptop that's not connecting. I tried uninstall and that "driverstore" error in this thread. Tried the "run as admin" command, pasting the stuff in here. Still no luck. Any further ideas appreciated. Really disappointed in HP for screwing me up in the first place and they abdicating its responsibility to help a long-long customer. Two HP computers in house, plenty of printers cartridges bought over the years. what gives HP?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.