Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I used to have a local print driver installed for my OfficeJet 4650.  I have always opened the application and clicked on the Scan tab to scan.  Today I had so many problems with my print jobs freezing after a few rows of printing, that I uninstalled that OfficeJet 4650 print driver.  The website does not seem to have a print driver for this printer because they are trying to have me use HP Smart.  I installed it and I have been able to print, but I do not know how to scan.  Please help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I also tried to use the virtual agent chat and I have been waiting more than 60 minutes and nobody has replied. I closed and reopened HP Smart and I clicked SCAN and it says, HP Smart cannot scan from this printer.  Either the printer does not have a scanner or HP Smart cannot use the scanner in this printer.    What now?  Is this a trick to get me to buy a new printer.  This is a good printer and I have used it for several years and I scan with it everyday.  Suddenly HP no longer makes a driver for this printer and they make me use some universal driver that cannot handle scanning from printers over a couple of years old--is that what is happening here?  I am very unhappy and I really could use any guidance anyone can offer since the HP chat agent has not replied in over 60 minutes of my waiting.

HP Recommended

and by the way, it still does not work to print.  I get only a few lines and then is freezes.  Does HP have a reliable print driver for an officejet 4650?

HP Recommended

@mtntasker 

With the advent of HP Smart for Windows, the location of the Full Feature Software has been shifted to another sub-category.  The full print software is still available for your printer.

Where is the Full Feature Software? 

• If available, use the Easy Start method to install your software:  During the installation, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) – wording may vary.
  • Some printers now offer (and use) the HP Smart for Windows as the main printing application.  If offered, the application might be listed on the Software and Drivers web page as "Get the App"
  • Full Feature Software might have been relocated to Software and Drivers > Subcategory Software Utility
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Category Software and Drivers > Open sub-category: Software-Utility

For example,

Your Full Feature Software

HP OfficeJet 4650 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

Printer Software - Uninstall / Reinstall - Basic Instructions

• Uninstall the existing (Full Feature) printer software from Programs and Features
  • Restart the computer and log in
  • Open Category Software and Drivers in your printer Support Website
  • Download-and-Save the printer software (Full / HP Smart / Easy Start)
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the software installation package (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.