Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP office jet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please someone explain hiow to use the touchscreen on my printer to enter numbers and letters.

I do not want a "workaround". I want to enter data on the screen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pfeldmann 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

Numbers and letters are tapped one or more times to move through the "group list".

See the explanation in this thread provided by Agent

on printer's small screen, how to enters letters & numbers?  

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Trying to set up my 3830.  Directions ask for wifi serial number - enter on touch screen

PROBLEM:  The touch screen show numbers / letter in GROUPS! eg. 12  or abd

How, for example, can I enter a "2"?  When I press the 12 group, I always get a "1".

HP Recommended

@pfeldmann 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

Numbers and letters are tapped one or more times to move through the "group list".

See the explanation in this thread provided by Agent

on printer's small screen, how to enters letters & numbers?  

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you! After an extensive search of available documentation, I found NO instructions as to how to enter data on the printer's touchscreen. HP just assumed everyone would know this. I, for one, did not.

Now, I know.

HP Recommended

@pfeldmann 

You are welcome.

The setup is a byproduct of  the "olden days" .  For example, older phones didn't have touchscreens and the method was similar.  That is, you were able to select the "group" of two or three letters / numbers like on an old landline phone, and then poke at the group to "move" to the next entry.

Does seem primitive these days.  Smiling.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

😀

Well, in my case, it's actually *new* days, since I don't use cell phones much and was involved with PCs since 1981.

We didn't *have* touchscreens! Tough the original IBM-PC had the best keyboard I ever used. Anyways, I'm coming at the problem from *way* far back. At any rate, I got the code entered, thanks to you.

Now the wireless LED is glowing blue and I seen the printer via a control panel. I just can't send a print job to the thing. I'll keep at it.

Again, Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.