Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6960
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi,

i have printer hp officejet pro 6960 and

I forgot admin password, all function in my printer locked.

how i reset the password?

thanks .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Paz9

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the admin password. 

Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Network Restore -
1) From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2) Touch Network Setup.
3) Touch Restore Network Settings.  

Step 2 Reboot the devices -
1) Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer. 
2) Wait for 60 seconds. 
3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize. 
4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself. 
5) Turn on the computer.

Step 3 Run Wireless Wizard - 
1) From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Wireless).
2) Touch ( Settings ).
3) Touch Wireless Settings.
4) Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
5) Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

If the issue still persists, I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Paz9

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the admin password. 

Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Network Restore -
1) From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2) Touch Network Setup.
3) Touch Restore Network Settings.  

Step 2 Reboot the devices -
1) Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer. 
2) Wait for 60 seconds. 
3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize. 
4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself. 
5) Turn on the computer.

Step 3 Run Wireless Wizard - 
1) From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Wireless).
2) Touch ( Settings ).
3) Touch Wireless Settings.
4) Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
5) Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

If the issue still persists, I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi,

i try step 1 but it is locked.

I can't log in, it asks to unlock, but I don't remember a password.

what the next option?

HP Recommended

i've tried this but didn't work... i let safari generate the password and now i can't log in

HP Recommended

Hi @chupax97

I have sent you a private message with the steps to perform a semi full reset on the printer. 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Support Community.

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita6658.

I have the same problem an can't get in to my printer.

So maby you can send me how to reset the printer also, tnx :).

Angelstone

HP Recommended

Hi @Angelstone

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I have sent you a private message with the steps to perform a semi-full reset. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem. After upgrading the PC software for my HP6960. when I go to the EWS page it shows everything is locked by Administrator and although (I think) I know my password, it will not let me log on.

If you could send me the printer reset instructions please, I would be grateful.

Kind Regards

Mike

HP Recommended

@MikeSW17 Welcome to HP Community!
I suggest you check my private message for steps on performing a full reset, the instructions are designed for your specific printer and if anyone with a different model would try the steps, it may render the printer unstable, hence a private message would be the safest way of sharing this information: 

Click here to know how the private message function works. 

Stand by for updates!

And have a good day.

(P.S: If anyone wants these instructions for their specific printers, please create a public post and tag me, I'll be happy to help).

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this has not worked ,, it wont let me touch the reset button without the ID and pw

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.