Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Print and Scan Doctor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having problems with Scan to computer, is shows that it is broken.

When I start HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix it, there are 2 printers.  The left one if incorrect and doesn't show up on my PC anywhere else.  The right one is correct.  I do a test scan and it works.

But the scan to comptuer still shows broken and it won't work.

I have tried all of the uninstalled and reinstalled.  Really this is very poor software.  My wife's computer works fine and no phamaton printer.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@cag61

You might be asking something of the Doctor that was not included in the softawre, that is, the ability to make a decision for you about "other", additional, "bits" of printer software.  It would be nice, of course, were there a switch in the code to say, "Gee, we found this mess - how would you like us to fix it?"  I like the idea.

What to do:

Remove the "bad" printer from the computer so the Scan Doctor does not trip over the entry.   

The following "cleanup" sections are from another procedure used to uninstall the printer software.

• I have modified the procedure to include "unwanted" to indicate the "bad" device you want to remove.
  • Be careful not to remove the printer you want to keep, else you will likely have to reinstall that printer's Full Feature Software.
  • The instruction changes made to remove only the "unwanted" device have not been tested - pay attention to make sure you do not remove something you intend to keep.

Assuming you have already uninstalled the "bad" printer software from Programs and Features / Apps and Features, the following extra "clean up" will help to remove the leftovers.

1. Read carefully through the suggestions, then decide how to proceed.
  2. At any time after performing part of the procedure, you notice that Scan Doctor no longer trips over the "Bad" device, you may consider the process complete.
  3. For best results, do not ignore the "Restart" sequences.

** Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager **

Check / Verify:  If the printer is still lurking in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the unwanted printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

** Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers **

Check / Verify:  If the printer drivers are still lurking in Devices and Printers, remove driver(s) related to the printer.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any Printer found in the Printers list

Clicking on a printer, displays options along the ribbon (near the top of the Devices and Printers window)

Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Click on Driver(s) in list, select Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I tried all of those, the "bad" printer doesn't show up.  I am thinking that because print/scan Doctor shows the bad printer that is why the scan to computer doesn't work, since the "bad" printer is first.

I noticed that the scan to computer shows the "bad" printer.  Is there any way to get is changed to the correct printer?  The print/scan doctor can't seem to fix it.

HP Recommended

@cag61

Not sure how / why Scan to Computer is picking up incorrect / imaginary printer device.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to the coding that runs the software.  I would guess that Scan to Computer is using a resource that still lists the printer as a resource.  That is not meant to be a "snarky" statement - there are places where device information might persist.

Registry

The printer might be hiding in the Registry.  I do not post Registry editing "how-to".   Personal choice.  You can certainly check the Registry.  If you wish / need to edit the Registry, do Export the entire Registry before making any changes.  How-to edit information is widely and joyfully shared on the Internet.  Remain cautious and you will likely be OK.

HP Support Assistant

The unwanted printer might be listed in the HP Support Assistant (HPSA).

If you have the software installed but it is not on your Taskbar (by choice),

Windows key > list by "All Apps" > scroll to category H >

Open Section HP Help and Support

Open the HP Support Assistant

Remove Devices from HP Support Assistant (HPSA)

Open HPSA

Tab My Devices

Click on an "old" device, that is, a device that you do not own and / or do not wish HPSA to manage or "see".

Click on "Edit this device"

Click on "Remove this device"

Close HPSA after removing the device.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well, I managed to find it on the Windows Scan profiles list.  I removed it that.  Well HP Printer/Scan doctor still sees it but Scan to computer not appears to work, even though it is showning the wrong printer.

I give up at this point.  HP messed things up and they don't care.  maybe this will be the last HP printer for me.

Thanks for trying!

Chris

HP Recommended

@cag61

You are welcome.

I am sorry after all our effort that you are unhappy.

Consider editing the Windows Registry if you want to do so.   (I do not teach that skill.)  The unwanted printer may be hiding and just needs to be removed.  Never edit the Registry unless you have your computer fully backed up, an Export of the entire Registry, and a plan of action.  The Internet is full of articles on how to edit the Windows Registry.

Consider checking for the unwanted printer in your AppData folder hierarchy (other than in Temp).

OR

Consider creating a new / separate account on the computer and test the setup there. 

Will there be any difference?  Unknown - because I do not know where the device is hiding in your Windows File System.

The Scan and Print Doctor is not built to fix everything; the Doctor is a detection and filtering program that can resolve certain types of issues.  Perhaps your expectation of the program exceeds its ability to provide the results you want. 

Yes, you should certainly purchase products that provide the kind of personal attention and care that you expect. 

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.