Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Hope the info below could help someone out there...

I had an incident where a friends printer just wouldn't print at all, after trying all the solutions suggested in these discussions, it just still would not print, i then found that when removing the device from devices and printers the USB001 port was also gone, but another remained with the same name but in lowercase as usb001, after deleting this other usb001 port, and then downloading the new windows 7 32bit printer drivers, it started printing properly...

Below is the procedure i followed :

1. Disconnect the printer if it is connected using a usb cable.
  2. Click on Start button
  3. Select Devices and Printers
  4. Click on another printer or on the Microsoft XPS Document Writer
  5. Click on Printer Server Properties in the top menu 
  6. Choose Ports and write down the port name for your printer
  7. Choose Drivers in the Installed printer drivers select all the HP printers, in my case it was an hp printer, one by one and click on Remove
  8. When asked choose Remove driver and driver package and click on ok.
  9. Choose Ports in the Ports on this server if there are any usb ports with the same name you wrote down in step 6, or any usb ports in lowercase, select and delete the ports, in my specific case it was called usb001
  10.  Establish an internet connection, once connection is establishe
  11.  Plug in your usb cable, this will allow a popup message which will install the new drivers from the internet, click on this popup message to see the intstallation

12.  After this if the drivers installed successfully the printer should print

Hope the above is of some help to someone...

Regards,

saleem

HP Recommended

I got this today after a w7 update. Prompted to run printer wizard as "there are no drivers for this printer" (there were before the update!). Reinstall worked. printer now working.

HP Recommended

Hello Saleem,

I tried your solution but it did the same thing as before. It could be because I'm not directly conneted to the Desktop computer, my HP color Laserjet Pro MFP M177 is connected directly to my router.  I have two(2) Laptops connected to this router both are wireless connections, one running Windows 7 and the other running Windows 8.1 and they both work fine. I also have another printer connected directly to this Desktop computer using a USB cable. When I try to print I can see it in the print queue for a split second then it disappears never going to the actual printer. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete C

HP Recommended

Yes yes yes!!! You win the lottery!!  So many answers that were not solutions and were soooo complicated.

This worked completely and easily!!  After several days of trying to re install software  and drivers it is finished!!!

HP Recommended

Will the software for the printer be automatically available to download when i get to step 9?

HP Recommended

Nope. I've just resolvd to having to pull the USB cable from the printer once each day, then it's recognized. Ab out once each moth, I have to unsintall and reinstall the software, then return to unplugging the USB cable and replugging it when I need to print. This works. . .It's not the best solution (it really should jst work), but, I can print my orders and pick-tickets.  Just an added note: It works when I bring up the computer in the morning and only fails if the printer goes into stgandby. That's when I have to unplug and replug the USB cable.  I'm just not impresed with this computer's software. . .and this is my 4th of 5th HP printer. All the others we great.

HP Recommended

I have just spent the past hour installing - reinstalling - installing - reinstalling the software driver. I can get a test page to print but when I test it on another program (Word, Excel) is comes up blank. Even with new documents set up. I can get Access to print but most of my printing is in those other two programs. I can print out a document in a music writing program but titles (text) to the piece are left out.

This printer was working on my old laptop. I have been issued a new one this year (an HP oh by the way) and this one will not work worth a darn to print out on.

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem. I bought a new Laptop Compac nc6220 which came with Windows 7 installed. I connected my HP Deskjet F4180 printer to the laptop and it automatically installed the printer software which does print. However when I wanted to check how much ink was in the cartridges, I clicked on the Maintenance Tasks button which brought up the 'Printing Preferences' page. When I clicked on the 'Services' tab nothing happened and the software 'hung'! I then got the 'Printing preferences not responding' error message. When I tried to cancel the page I got the error message'Function Discovery Print Provider DII' not responding.

I had to turn off the laptop to get out of the problem.

I have tried to uninstall the printer software and use the original CD software but this does not recognise Windows 7 OS.

Anyone any ideas please?

HP Recommended

I cannot thank you enough for this post!! I have been trying everything to fix print issues and this was the only solution that worked!! You are a printer whisperer!!

HP Recommended

Not sure what smilekismet is referring too? My problem relates to being unable to use Printing Preferences/Services tab? Otherwise the printer works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.