Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ENVY 5540 Firmware: NBP1CN1741AR Software: 036.000.072.54013 Printer Driver: 20.79.01.6594
HP Envy Desktop (Model TE01-0014 Product #6YQ60AA#ABA) Windows 10 version 1903

I have bee trying to get my HP Envy 5540 Printer to print in color on my new HP Envy Desktop with Windows 10.
I had trouble back in October, 2019 with printing preferences on My Windows 7 HP desktop. It works perfectly on my Windows 7 desktop now, but I cannot get it to work on the new computer with Windows 10.  It is compatible per the HP website.
I downloaded EN5540_Full_WebPack_1119.exe, the full driver package. But not all of the printing preferences appeared. When I selected printing preferences there was no color option and there was no print duplex.
I have been loading and unloading this driver package for two days. I have unplugged the printer I don't know how many times any more. I have followed instructions to completely remove the printer. I have used different HP tools to help install; one had links to pages that no longer exist. For a while Print and San doctor crashed on the drivers test.
HP Print and Scan Doctor finally has the printer working to print in black and white, but now when I click on preferences I get an error message. (see attached)

2020-01-13 Printer error message.jpg

I  have seen where people have completely given up on HP to resolve this issue and gone to Windows drivers instead, but with mixed results.  Last October, during my efforts to fix this on my Windows 7, I suddenly found my printer scanning with the Windows scanning program.  The interface sucks.  I prefer the HP program and I know the printer is OK as it works fine now on the Windows 7 computer.

This has been a problem for many for a long time.  Does anyone know of any recent solutions for getting this printer to work on a Windows 10 computer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @mpw101

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. This issue is because of a conflict between the printer driver and the Win 10 OS. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply but techs at Windows 10 and HP advised there was a hardware problem and told me to take it back.  Best Buy accepted the return and I am waiting for a new computer.

If I have trouble again I will try your solution and let you know if it helped.  As I watched the techs take over my computer I think they tried this.

HP Recommended

@mpw101 Alright, keep us posted,

And good luck, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.