Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have re-installed printer drivers to fix a recurring problem, the drivers are apparently installed, but when I try to add the printer, it says driver unavailable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks, but HP Print & Scan Doctor didn't resolve issue. I spoke on the phone to an HP Support person, Mike, who gave me a solution (which I've copied here in case it helps others) which did work - installing the driver manually:

Open Control Panel > Devices > Printers & Scanners

-In this window if you don't see your Printer image and the name of the printer under Printers line then skip the next step.
- If you DO see the name and image of your Printer then click that and click on Remove Printer then click ok
- click on Add Printer
-On the next window underneath the loading bar you should see "The printer that i want isn't listed' in blue, click on that.
-On the next window check the 4th option " Add a printer using TCP / IP adress or hostname. Click Next
-On the next window click on autodetect and from the dropdown list choose TCP / IP device, and in Hostname or Ip Adress put the ip adress you get from the LCD display panel on your
printer

(On printers panel choose setup - Network Setup - Wireless details , and next to Ip Adress you should see the IP )

-Click Next
-On the next window choose replace current drivers and click next
-On the next window , press on Print test page and a page should be printer from your printer.Click Finish

You can try now to print a color test page from your pc and it will work.

Finally, I had a printer which worked again! Hallelujah! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GlossyGardener, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• What model HP Printer are you using?
  • How is the printer connected to the PC?

For now, run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but HP Print & Scan Doctor didn't resolve issue. I spoke on the phone to an HP Support person, Mike, who gave me a solution (which I've copied here in case it helps others) which did work - installing the driver manually:

Open Control Panel > Devices > Printers & Scanners

-In this window if you don't see your Printer image and the name of the printer under Printers line then skip the next step.
- If you DO see the name and image of your Printer then click that and click on Remove Printer then click ok
- click on Add Printer
-On the next window underneath the loading bar you should see "The printer that i want isn't listed' in blue, click on that.
-On the next window check the 4th option " Add a printer using TCP / IP adress or hostname. Click Next
-On the next window click on autodetect and from the dropdown list choose TCP / IP device, and in Hostname or Ip Adress put the ip adress you get from the LCD display panel on your
printer

(On printers panel choose setup - Network Setup - Wireless details , and next to Ip Adress you should see the IP )

-Click Next
-On the next window choose replace current drivers and click next
-On the next window , press on Print test page and a page should be printer from your printer.Click Finish

You can try now to print a color test page from your pc and it will work.

Finally, I had a printer which worked again! Hallelujah! 🙂

HP Recommended

@GlossyGardener

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.