Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My recent purchase of the Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw is all frustration right now.

Connected via USB seems to work ok, but not really the idéa with a wireless printer - right? Set-up via wireless it doesn´t seem to be stable at all. I tried several "levels" of HP driver sw´s, tried installing via the HP printer SW´s, the HP Printer doctor, Windows "Add printer" including wi-fi direct. Tried with windows firewall on or off. 

Sometimes and oftentimes directly after install, it is possible to print a document. Sometimes it says that there is an error or printer is indicated as offline, when not. Also printing from wireless iOS - devices can work one day but give faultcodes the next.

I have tried manual IP-adress or automatic. I tried reseting the printer to "factory" and reinstalling. At one time with automatic IP it returned an 169.255... adress and it was not found in the Wireless network. Otherwise it seems to always be connected to the router and all the "Wireless status reports" printed is returning: Everything ok!

But everything is not ok! I cannot print from my laptop. When the connection to my laptop is robust, I also need to install on the other PC´s in the house and get the iOS-mobile units to work. Please give me some advice or I will loose it!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@OT73,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you are having issues while connecting your printer to the network. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

When was the last time it worked?

What is status of the wireless light? Is it blinking or steady.

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

1. Make sure that the router or printer connects to the same network that your computer connects to. 2. Print a configuration page. 3. Compare the service set identifier (SSID) on the configuration page to the SSID in the printer configuration for the computer. 4. If the numbers are not the same, the devices are not connecting to the same network.  Reconfigure the wireless setup for the printer.

If the wireless light is blinking and not connected. I would suggest here is to restore the printer to the network defaults. Once done, run the wireless setup wizard and connect the printer to the network.

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, swipe until the Setup menu displays. Touch the Setup

icon to open the menu.

2. Scroll to and select the Service menu.

3. Scroll to and select Restore Defaults, and then touch OK.

The printer automatically restarts.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to print the network configuration page and check if the printer is restored.

Once done, run the wireless setup wizard on the printer and then connect the printer to the network.

For more details, please go through the User guide of this printer. 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to do a root level uninstall and reinstall of the printer drivers.

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for responding! 

1. Recent charges? -Well, I installed it box-fresh.

2. It works from time to time. Oftentimes directly after reinstall. Sometimes after restart, but most of the sent printjobs ends up sittning in the que or with error. Sometimes it prints ”yesterdays unprinted jobs” upon restart. 

3. The wireless indicator is stable and printer is visible in the router sw (Netgear Genie) network-map with a suitable IP-adress.

4. The printer is setup to the same network as the computer(s).

5. About SSID. Not really sure what you mena with the ”SSID in the printer configuration for the computer”. See 4 above. (Also it is not identified by a number, but a name (The home network name)). Can the printer driver in the PC  be setup to another network id than the PC? How can i check? 

6. I understood that a ”restore defaults” was if the printer was connected to the wrong network. I tried reconnecting the printer to my home wi-fi network serveral times, without any problem , but also no different result. Also i tried a ”factory reset” (with a finger on the screen while powering on). It got another IPadress, but the outcome in the end was the same. 

Tried installing several driver sw’s (including win10 sw apps). Apps seems not so robust though. HP Smart indicating printer ”online” in the ”choose-printer-panel”, but ”offline” 5sec later when having chosen the printer. Also printer doc seems to find the printer (sometimes via IP-adress pointing), but failing in the following two-way communication session. 

Didn’t yet try the ”root-level uninstall/reinstall of drivers”. Should I?

HP Recommended

@OT73,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see that your printer is connected however it's showing as offline, In this scenario, I would suggest you try these steps here:

Let’s start by assigning a static IP address to the printer. Here are the steps:

For Windows:  HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says, “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says, “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Restart the printer and then router once done.

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you could try to do a clean install of the printer drivers.

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Select Wireless option on the connection page and then finish the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok! Before going to manual IP-setting (tried that already before), i just want to double check a few things.

Today I managed to send a print job from my iPhone to the printer without hustle. AirPrint have been a typical way of messing up the PC-printer connection and normally it ends up with a fault message on the iOS device as well, but now it printed nicely from both phone and PC directly after. Could that be the result of the spooler reset? (I think that’s the only previosly untested advice so far).

I will give this a few more trials before moving on to next proposal. Before moving on I also wonder how to ”search Windows for devices” and why going for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS adresses?

One idea with the printer was to allow the kids to use their laptops (Windows 10) and print from them as well. How would you advice to set this up? I don’t want them to got caught up in a printer installation depending on my PC being online (kindoff the point with a network printer - right?).  Something additional to think of with regards to installing on their PCs?

HP Recommended

@OT73,

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad to hear you got this sorted. 

I would personally suggest you keep working and check how it goes.

If you come across any issue, please get back to us and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately it was not sorted. After a few days on business trip I returned home and now there is a printer fault when trying to print from PC. 

Edit1: Tried reseting the print spooler again, but printer is said to be offline although it´s not. On the printer display it says: "Printing document", but nothing is happening.

Edit2: After a long time (>5min) the document was finally printed. Befor "Edit1". I restarted the printer (off-on) and before "Edit2" I reset the spooler according to "Edit1".

How can I get a robust installation? What do you suggest as next step? I have not tried manual IP (got messed up last time, ending with a factory reset of printer). Also I didn´t try the "clean the drivers"-method described after the spooler reset in your list of proposals.  

HP Recommended

@OT73,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

After reviewing your post, I would suggest here is to Uninstall the printer drivers and then try installing the Windows built-in drivers for the printer.

Simply turn on the printer and connect the USB cable from the printer to the PC. The drivers will be installed in 2-3 minutes. Go to Control panel - Devices and printers to check the printer entry and make it as default printer if needed.

Check http://hp.care/2nxKJv8 for additional instructions.

In the issue persists, I would suggest this could be an Operating system issue, I would suggest you could try to update the windows:

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to create a new user account and check if that helps.

Try to create a new local user and then try to install the printer. Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: Create a local user or administrator account in Windows       

Now, login to the new account and then try to install the printer and check. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! 

Windows is for sure updated and I tried to setup printer via USB serverhall times. If you think that would be better than the earlier proposed cleanup of drivers, yet not tested, I will hage a go again! 

Also AirPrint is not working properly! How is that connected to PC installation. Tried air print just now and it said ”printer is down” on my iPhone. I chose ”continue” and the printer sounded as it would print, but didn’t! 

HP Recommended

@OT73,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I understand there seems to be a connectivity issue, let's try these steps here: 

Let's try to do a restore factory defaults on the printer: 

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, swipe until the Setup menu displays. Touch the Setup

icon to open the menu.

2. Scroll to and select the Service menu.

3. Scroll to and select Restore Defaults, and then touch OK.

The printer automatically restarts.

Now print the network configuration page and check if the printer is restored.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to run the Wireless setup wizard on the printer and then connect the printer to the network.

For more details, please go through the User guide of the printer, Here's list: Click here

Let me know the outcome for further assistance!

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.