Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP 22-c0039 all-in-one desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I set up my new HP printer yesterday.  Now I want to delete/remove my old printer from the HP Dashboard of my listed devices.  Could someone tell me the procedure for doing this as I've had no luck so far.  Thank-you.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@Willow1949,

Thanks for engaging in the HP support community! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

Try these steps to re-install the printer driver - 

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type, and open “Devices and Printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@Willow1949,

Thanks for engaging in the HP support community! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

Try these steps to re-install the printer driver - 

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type, and open “Devices and Printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, Praveenbv, my entire computer/printer system is working great so I may leave it alone for now, will let you know how I make out.  

HP Recommended

Praveenbv,

why  do you have to uninstall and then reinstall, why isnt there an option just to remove the old printer in the dashboadr? I logged onto My account and removed the printer from my HP list of devices and it is not installed on my computer but it is still on the dashboard. It is very annoying, I want it gone without having to uninstall and reinstall from scratch again.

HP Recommended

Hi Dockergirl, here's the scoop on my trying to delete my 15-year old HP printer from the dashboard.  I was able to delete the old printer everywhere it showed on my HP Desktop Computer.  It's only the HP dashboard where I can't delete/remove it.  The dashboard requires that I enter the NICKNAME for the old printer in order to cancel it from the dashboard.  My now deceased husband did the old printer setup and didn't copy down the nickname he chose, darn 😞   But my new HP printer is working excellently so I'm just going to forget about trying to delete/remove the old printer from the dashboard.  

HP Recommended

Yes I have done the same. Where did it ask for the nickname of the old printer to delete?

I contacted HP through whatsapp and got the usual stuff about deleting the app reinstalling etc. But other people have done that and it goes and then reappears again! Yes I will likely just have to put up with it as well. Thanks for your reply 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Dockergirl, when I go onto the HP Dashboard, it shows my computer, my old printer, and my new printer.  I click the tab at the top of my old printer which is for deletion and that takes me onto the next step to cancel my old printer.  Then it states I have to enter the nickname of the old printer which I don't have.  So.....since both my HP Desktop Computer and my new Printer are working excellently, that's A-OK with me.  I think because my old HP Printer is 15 years old is why the original setup included having a nickname which I didn't have to do with my new HP Deskjet 2255e that I installed a couple weeks ago.  Often I need to know when to leave well enough alone ~ LOL!  Thanks for your replies 😊  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.