Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have an Officejet Pro 8620 that wont print or make copies and displays an error: 

Cannot print. Connect printer to update HP Instant Ink status.

I press connect and it just sits there with the spinning circle saying Now Connecting... then after a minuter or two will say

No Internet Connection

The printer could not connect to the Internet.

If your network does not use a proxy server, try turning the printer off and then on again.  If your networkk uses a proxy server, touch Set Proxy, and then try again.  If you are still unable to connect, contact your Internet service provider or your administrator.

The internet connection is fine, I've tried it with both wireless and hard wired (ethernet cable) with the same results. I've checked the date and time are correct, I've removed power and let it sit for 10 minutes, powered it back up with no success, I've removed web services and re-enabled them with no success. It wont print via network or USB. My ip address is correct. 

I am able to scan without connecting a cable to the printer and I am able to scan documents to email address. 

I never get the ink levels to display on the printer, but it does show ESTIMATED Ink levels. When I log onto my HP Utility, I can see the ink levels and that my internet connection is good. I know it is up to date because when I disabled web services, HP Utility could not find the printer and when I re-enabled it, the information was back up.  Any suggestions?

Also, is there a way to use the printer without internet by just connecting a USB cable from my computer to the printer or simply making a copy of a page? Or will my inability to connect HP Instant Ink Status just make my printer useless to even make copies?

When the printer scans directly to my computer or when it emails scans to my email it is using internet, correct? HP Instant Ink Status has made my life miserable. Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @sjim11,

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.