Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 515

I have recently bought the HP Smart Tank 515 printer and I am generally happy with regard to printing and scanning quality etc. The issue I have is with the wireless connection, which intermittently drops, despite all my efforts.

Specifically, I have done the following:

1. Connected the printer to my DLink router initially via the HP Smart app.
  2. Set up a static IP address that is outside the router's DHCP range.
  3. Set up connections to my computers and phones via the HP Smart apps for Windows 10 and iOS.
  4. Tested everything works OK.

At this point the printer is connected to the wireless network - the blue light next to Wireless button is on and the LCD display shows the wireless icon at full strength (the router is fairly close). After working with the printer fine and then leaving it on but not used, I find that it disconnects from the wireless router - the blue light next to the Wireless button starts blinking and, if I try to print from any of my devices, I get an error message that the printer is offline. Pressing the Wireless button on the printer turns on the LCD display, which shows the wireless icon animating from lower to higher strength continuously. The printer does not connect to the wireless network at this point and the only way to restore the connection is to turn the printer off and on again.

I have ensured the printer firmware is updated (via HP Smart). I have experimented with the printer's network settings, e.g. turned off IPv6, turned on/off DHCP v4 and v6. I have also tried reconnecting the printer via WPS instead of network SSID and password. I have added the printer on the DHCP reservations list with its current IP address. Unfortunately, the result is always the same: the printer stays connected for a while but after a period of inactivity, the printer disconnects from the wireless router and I need to restart it to connect again.

I would appreciate any help or comments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@NightRoom 

Printer supports dual band.

Product Specifications for the HP Smart Tank 515 Wireless All-in-One (1TJ09A)

Connectivity

Ports
Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE
Wireless capability
Yes, built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Wireless direct, BLE

If you have not done so,

Assign a separate name to each SSID / bandwidth.

Connect the printer to the appropriate SSID.

What else?

No idea whether your printer EWS includes this setting - worth a quick look...

Example

EWS_9025_Network_Bandwidth_1EWS_9025_Network_Bandwidth_1

References

Video - Unbox and Set Up the HP Smart Tank 500 and 600 Printer Series | HP Smart Tank | HP

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Smart Tank 515 Wireless All-in-One 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@NightRoom 

Printer supports dual band.

Product Specifications for the HP Smart Tank 515 Wireless All-in-One (1TJ09A)

Connectivity

Ports
Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE
Wireless capability
Yes, built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Wireless direct, BLE

If you have not done so,

Assign a separate name to each SSID / bandwidth.

Connect the printer to the appropriate SSID.

What else?

No idea whether your printer EWS includes this setting - worth a quick look...

Example

EWS_9025_Network_Bandwidth_1EWS_9025_Network_Bandwidth_1

References

Video - Unbox and Set Up the HP Smart Tank 500 and 600 Printer Series | HP Smart Tank | HP

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Smart Tank 515 Wireless All-in-One 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Thank you for the response.

1. Regarding dual-band: my router does support dual-band and I have assigned separate SSIDs to each of the bands. However, the 5 GHz band broadcast was turned off as no devices used it. I have now turned it on and connected the printer to the 5 GHz SSID so I will check and see how it goes.
  2. The EWS does include the frequency setting as shown, but since I initially had only 2.4 GHz turned on at the router, I had also changed the printer frequency setting to "2.4 GHz" only. In order to connect as per (1) above, I changed this setting to "2.4 GHz and 5 GHz". If the printer continues disconnecting, I will try to set it as "5 GHz" only.
  3. Regarding Wi-Fi Direct, it has been mostly off since I do not use the feature.

So I will check and follow-up later on.

Thanks and regards.

HP Recommended

@NightRoom 

You are welcome.

The main solution won't likely change though if you continue to have odd problems,

Add the following to the mix...

Assign the printer its own IP address.

Printing Center > Common Questions > Connection Issues

Section: Improve Wireless communication by setting a manual (static) IP address

You can also assign the network in EWS.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wired (802.3) > IPv4 Configuration

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wireless (802.11) > IPv4 Configuration

And

Tab Network > Wireless (802.11) > Advanced

General example - older OfficeJet Pro 8630

HP_8630_EWS_Network_Static_IP_1HP_8630_EWS_Network_Static_IP_1

and

on your Windows 10 system(s)

Method - Create TCP IP port

Find printer's IP /  IPv4 address

Print a Configuration Page

OR

Tap on the wireless icon on Printer Control / Display Panel

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer > Left-Click Printer Properties

Select Tab Ports  > Add Port

Select Standard TCP/IP Port > New Port and follow the wizard.
 Use / Enter IP address for the printer.

Example - How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by greenturtle

Video:  Create & Use TCP IP port
“Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)”

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi again Dragon-Fur,

Thanks for the follow-up. I am happy to report that the dual-band solution seems to be working, i.e. the printer seems to stay connected to the 5 GHz SSID constantly. This resolves my problem completely so I will mark your original answer as solution.

Regarding the additional info you posted, I had already assigned the printer its own IP address and, according to information I had read at the time, I chose an address outside the router's DHCP address range: e.g. my DHCP address range ends at 49, while the printer ends in 50.

For the DNS server setting, I had already entered Google's 8.8.8.8 as primary and my ISP's DNS setting as secondary, which seems to work OK for most of my devices as well.

Thank you for the assistance once again! 

HP Recommended

@NightRoom 

Well, looks like you have "done it all" , then.  Smiling.

Excellent outcome.

You are welcome.

Stay Safe in these uncertain times.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.