Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 7305 All-in-One

This is an interesting one.

If I access the printer via a FQDN on my browser e.g. hp.mydomain.com it shows the  homepage correctly with one problem.

It shows all items as "locked" but the user on top right shows as admin. In fact I am not logged in at all.

freitasmtablet_0-1710360621346.png

If I click "Sign Out" it tells me "to view password protected pages sign-in again" but the link goes back to "User: admin | Sign out".

Now, if I access the page via its IP address it correctly shows "Welcone | Sign In" and if I click the link it allows me to login using the PIN as expected.

I think the fault is related to using a domain name and perhaps CORS security settings. not allowing some of the parts of the page to load. Or not correctly handling access via domain name.

I tried the obvious - clear cache, clear cookies, use incognito, use Windows Sandbox but the behaviour is consistent between different browsers, statuses and machines.

Has anyone experienced this and fixed it?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @freitasmtablet

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Your issue with accessing the HP Smart Tank 7305 printer via a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) like hp.mydomain.com sounds like it might indeed involve Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) or possibly other web security policies that differentiate between different ways of accessing the same resource. When accessed via its IP address, your browser treats the printer's web interface as a direct, same-origin request. However, accessing it via a custom domain name introduces a different origin from the browser's perspective, which can trigger stricter security policies.

Here are a few potential solutions and troubleshooting steps you can consider:

Check CORS Settings: If you have control over the web server settings on the printer (which might not be directly accessible or modifiable on most printers), ensure that CORS policies are correctly configured to allow requests from your custom domain.

Inspect Web Console for Errors: Use your browser's Developer Tools (usually accessible with F12 or right-click → "Inspect") and navigate to the Console tab. Access the printer's web interface via the domain name and look for any CORS or security-related errors. This can give you clues about what's being blocked.

DNS Configuration: Ensure your DNS settings for the custom domain (hp.mydomain.com) are correctly pointing to the printer's IP address. Sometimes, issues can arise from misconfigured DNS records leading to incorrect routing or security checks.

Web Server Configuration: If your network setup involves a web server or reverse proxy that routes requests to the printer, make sure that it's configured to forward requests properly. The web server should pass along necessary headers and not strip out or alter requests in a way that would affect authentication.

Try a Different Domain or Subdomain: As a troubleshooting step, try using a different domain or a subdomain to see if the issue persists. This can help identify if the problem is specifically related to the hp.mydomain.com domain or a broader issue with domain-based access.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Rachel571

Thanks for the detailed post. Unfortunately, I've done all this. The sub-domain matches the certificate and the sub-domain is available in DNS. I tried accessing the sub-domain directly and via a tunnel. I've looked at the request and response headers and made sure that the domain name in the printer matches the certificate, which matches the actual domain name.

freitasmtablet_0-1710620451038.png

I've done this because without the domain name the XHR requests go to the IP address. With that setting all requests go to the correct sub-domain so it shouldn't be a CORS problem:

freitasmtablet_1-1710620581380.png

But you see some requests receive a 403 (Forbidden) response, while direct access via IP have a 200 (Ok) response.

The problem seems to be the EWS somehow not treating requests with a sub-domain correctly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.