Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 8710 printer will go offline constantly. I have to go into wireless setup wizard to enter the information in (even though it shows that it is already setup). I can the print but I can go back and try to print something else 20 minutes later and it shows as being offline again.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

In the last week something has changed in my environment.  I cannot print to the airprint from IOS devices even through it shows it is on.  From Windows 10 the printer shows as offline when I print.  When I go to the printers webserver it is also offline.  I power cycle the printer and then the printers webserver responds and prints the previous windows 10 print job from the windows print queue.  Using the printer webserver I see airprint is enabled yet I still cannot print from IOS devices.  Earlier I  uninstalled the print drivers from the windows 10 and reinstalled while the usb was connected and for a short time the airprint worked however the next day the printer was again offline and the airprint was again not functioning.  For one year this printer worked as a wireless printer printing from IOS, windows and MAC PC's with no issues.  Now, it only functions as a wireless printer for a short period after a power cycle the printer and only from Windows.  Having difficulty isolating the root cause being a printer issue or a network issue.  HP, is not making a good impression on me as this printer is just over one year old and I just purchased an expensive print toner cartridge.  I cannot recommend HP printers based upon this experience.

HP Recommended

I just installed the latest firmware update and now airprint is working again.  I had believe that was previously installed but did it again and for now it is working again.  The real test will be to see if it is working still tomorrow.

HP Recommended

@nydeerhuntr 

Consider Options...

• Run the 5.0.6 version of the Doctor.
  • Change over to a TCP/IP connection.
  • Assign the printer its own IP address.

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Original Notes – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

After the Offline Doctor completes…

Verify / Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

OR

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on printer > Set printer as Default

NOTES – Selecting Default Printer 

1. Do not select the printer marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”
  2. Do not select the printer marked as “Fax”

Example Default Printer:  Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Net)

ReferenceHP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows) > Step 2: Manually set the default printer

=================================================================

Method - Create TCP IP port

** Install – Optional - Port Issues - Create a TCP/IP port **

TCP/IP can resolve odd connection, scanning, and installation problems.

Create / Switch to a TCP/IP Port to facilitate communication and prevent ‘offline’ issues

How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by  greenturtle:

1. 1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
    2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, Right-Click the printer and Left-Click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
    3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
    4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:
    Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

=================================================================

Create a Static IP address for your printer

Wireless Printing Center – Static IP Address

Example

HP_8630_EWS_Network_Static_IP_1HP_8630_EWS_Network_Static_IP_1

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.