Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

Hello

I just got a new Xfinity Gateway router 5/2024, and now I cannot connect my HP Officejet 8600 to the wifi.  The wireless network test print out from the printer says it failed due to "No Filtering" - FAIL.  When I go into the Gateway router filtering is disabled (they call it a bridge).  I have a second HP printer that is connected to the wifi fine.  

I have connected my computer and printer, updated the software and I still cannot connect the HP 8600 to the WiFi.  

The Test results printout suggests entering the MAC address into the list of permitted devices in the router, but the router requires an associated IP address, which I don't have.   

I am on a Mac Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224)

I'm stuck.  Any suggestions?  I like this printer so don't really want to get a new one.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Cindi85,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing connectivity issues with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 after setting up a new Xfinity Gateway router. Let's troubleshoot this.

• Reset the Printer Network Settings: Sometimes, resetting the network settings on the printer can resolve connectivity issues. Look for a "Restore Network Defaults" option in the printer's settings menu.
  • Ensure DHCP is Enabled on Router: DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) assigns IP addresses to devices on your network automatically. Make sure DHCP is enabled on your Xfinity Gateway router.
  • Assign Static IP to Printer: If DHCP is enabled and the printer still can't connect, you can manually assign a static IP address to the printer. To do this, you'll need the printer's MAC address. You can find the MAC address on the printer's network settings page. Once you have it, access your router settings, find the DHCP reservation or static IP assignment section, and add the MAC address of your printer along with an IP address within your network range.
  • Check Wireless Security Settings: Ensure that your Xfinity Gateway router's wireless security settings (like WPA2, WEP, etc.) are compatible with your printer. Sometimes mismatched security settings can prevent devices from connecting to the network.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Make sure your HP Officejet Pro 8600 has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes firmware updates include fixes for connectivity issues.
  • Temporarily Disable Firewall/Antivirus: Sometimes, security software can interfere with network connections. Try temporarily disabling any firewall or antivirus software on your Mac and see if the printer connects.
  • Contact Xfinity Support: If none of the above steps work, reach out to Xfinity customer support. They may be able to provide further assistance or insights into any router settings that might be causing the issue.

By following these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the connectivity issue and get your HP Officejet Pro 8600 connected to your new Xfinity Gateway router.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Cindi85,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing connectivity issues with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 after setting up a new Xfinity Gateway router. Let's troubleshoot this.

• Reset the Printer Network Settings: Sometimes, resetting the network settings on the printer can resolve connectivity issues. Look for a "Restore Network Defaults" option in the printer's settings menu.
  • Ensure DHCP is Enabled on Router: DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) assigns IP addresses to devices on your network automatically. Make sure DHCP is enabled on your Xfinity Gateway router.
  • Assign Static IP to Printer: If DHCP is enabled and the printer still can't connect, you can manually assign a static IP address to the printer. To do this, you'll need the printer's MAC address. You can find the MAC address on the printer's network settings page. Once you have it, access your router settings, find the DHCP reservation or static IP assignment section, and add the MAC address of your printer along with an IP address within your network range.
  • Check Wireless Security Settings: Ensure that your Xfinity Gateway router's wireless security settings (like WPA2, WEP, etc.) are compatible with your printer. Sometimes mismatched security settings can prevent devices from connecting to the network.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Make sure your HP Officejet Pro 8600 has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes firmware updates include fixes for connectivity issues.
  • Temporarily Disable Firewall/Antivirus: Sometimes, security software can interfere with network connections. Try temporarily disabling any firewall or antivirus software on your Mac and see if the printer connects.
  • Contact Xfinity Support: If none of the above steps work, reach out to Xfinity customer support. They may be able to provide further assistance or insights into any router settings that might be causing the issue.

By following these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the connectivity issue and get your HP Officejet Pro 8600 connected to your new Xfinity Gateway router.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you.  Your note did help me get to the resolution.  In the end, I had to create another network within my network, and the printer is working fine now.  I had to do this due to the higher security setting on my new router vs what is on my older but working great printer.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with no help after a couple of hours on the phone with Xfinity. Could you elaborate on what you mean by having to create a network within your network to get your printer working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.