Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new router and the printer stopped connecting. I installed updated software and after 2 hours I was able to get it to connect with the help of a kind sales person (because after only 3 years they no longer support the printer!). However, I had to unplug the printer and move it and now it won't connect again. I've tried to follow the steps we took to get the wireless working last week but we tried so many things going up blind alleys that I don't have a clue at this point what worked. This time I have run the wizard, and the print scan doctor. I do remember that while working with the sales person she had me go to a website that let HP find my printer while it was connected via ethernet. I could do that again but will have to unplug it and move it again once done which will create the same problem. Another thing we did that I can't seem to find in the software options was advanced settings that we switched something in but I can't even find that. Really frustrated.

Thanks,

MorganW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's mentioned in the product specifications: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05061732

I'm not quite sure how it did work before.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@morganwatson

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's restore the network settings on the Printer:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ). 2. Touch Network Setup. 3. Touch Restore Network Settings. A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored. 4. Touch Yes.

Once done, connect the Printer back to the Wi-Fi.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty, it did not help. It can't even see the router and won't find it even when I manually type it in.

Thank you,

Morgan

HP Recommended

Also, when I go to the router gateway http://10.0.0.1 I saw two routers. The old 2.5 Ghz and the new 5Ghz. I think the printer can only see the old router. Before I disabled that as one of the solution tries the printer was able to see the router but still wouldn't connect. I'm pretty sure the printer was looking for the old router and unfortnately I named the new router the same as the old router. I disabled the old router hoping the printer would find the new one but once I did that the name of the router didn't show at all. I enabled the 2.5 Ghz router and the printer can once again see it but, of course, can't connect.

HP Recommended

This Printer only supports 2.4 Ghz networks.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

But I actually had it working before I had to unplug it and move it to another room. A very kind HP sales person stayed on the phone with me while be both tried various things. One of the things that helped was going to some HP website that would look for the printer. I don't know how to find that to at least give it another try. 

If not I am going back to my old router. It is ridiculous and wasteful (thinking about the land fill and e-cycle right now) to have to buy a new printer after only three years of service.

HP Recommended

It's mentioned in the product specifications: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05061732

I'm not quite sure how it did work before.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah it is pretty weird. The only solution is to go back to my old router which was working just fine before Xfinity prompted me to upgrade, or buy a new printer. I can't even use it plugged in with the ethernet because it keeps prompting me to connect so instant ink can monitor it. Really frustrating that this has turned into a hunk of junk after only 3 years.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

I understand. The Printer works great though otherwise.

Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day and stay safe!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.