Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting really sick and tired of my OfficeJet Pro 8100 NOT responding to the network. It's set to wireless usage and I've installed it multiple times but the piece of junk will quit connecting after a couple days. This has been a recurring problem and NOTHING has solved the problem. I have an old Canon printer connected to an even older MacPro and it ALWAYS connects. I run Advanced Scanner Pro and it  can't find the device, but HP Scan & Fax Doctor and HP Support Assistant have no problem finding and talking to it. Bluetooth is on. Wi-Fi is on.  HP printers used to be aces. Now they appear to be A**es. What next?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@RealGomer, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the printer drops off the wireless network. Let us perform these steps:

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC.

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Assign a static IP address to the printer.

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The network configuration page shows 0.0.0.0 as the EWS Server. Spectrum wi-fi router has no user access screen.

HP Recommended

@RealGomer

It is not a valid IP address. 

On the printer, go to Setup > Network Setup > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard and select your network.

Now, check the IP address of the printer.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the Office Jet install software and get this error message:

Issue: Incorrect wireless password.
Solution: The WPA security passphrase you configured on your HP printer does not match the WPA passphrase used by the wireless router. Configure the printer using the correct WPA passphrase.

Now what?

HP Recommended

We recently had Spectrum internet installed. The spectrum router is dual band and the printer will only connect to a single band wireless. We still a Netgear D2200D modem / wireless router. Can this unit be put into bridge mode and then used to connect our printer? Or is there a better solution, such as getting a new printer?

HP Recommended

Actually, after checking the network setting I got an address for the printer of 0.0.0.0. When I try to set up web services, I get the address doesn't exists. When I looked at a couple youtube vids the display pamel there shows a network icon. My wireless icon is just a "tower" not one radiating. I'm beginning to thing the network "card" in the printer has gone to great scrap heap in the sky.

UPDATE: Just learned the Spectrum SAC2V1A wireless modem won't work with my printer. Or most HP printers, apparently. And to add insult to injury along with salt in the would, the link spectrum support redirects right back to the support page. Loverly.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/hp-wireless-printer-wifi-connection.

HP Recommended

@RealGomer

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What frequency for the HP OJP8100 use for wi-fi? My wi-fi router is locked to the 5GHz band.

HP Recommended

Solved the problem. The idjits at spectrum decided it would be cute to lock down their wireless Arris router to 5GHz only with no way to reset. I replaced that POJ with an unlocked router and now I have both 2.4GHz & 5GHZ bands. The 8100 appears to only function on the 2.4GHz band.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.