Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8024
Chrome OS

Hi.  My daughter has a new Officejet 8024 printer, a chromebook laptop, and an android phone. 
She is totally techno-incapable. So far she has got the printer to work by using a usb cable to connect it to the chromebook.

She has downloaded the hp app to her mobile phone (not to the chromebook). 

She wants to sign up for instant ink, for the 2 months free trial.  

Will the ink cartridges connect to the hp instant ink service via her mobile phone?

It looks to me, from reading hp manuals and how-to's, that she can only connect her printer to her wifi directly if she goes through a major song and dance to find her wife password first, that involves going into developer mode on the chromebook, wiping all settings, then resetting a password??  Is this really the case?  

The idea was to provide her with a simple means of printing from google cloud, via chromebook. But it looks as if this printer makes this impossible.

OR are we doing something wrong? 

How can we set this up in a simple way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ratsup, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you need help with printer setup, here are two documents that can help you-

HP Printers - Printing from a Chromebook

HP Printers - Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App

This should help you print wirelessly from the Chromebook. 

Once the printer is connected wireless, you can enroll in the HP Instant Ink Program. Refer to the document HP Printers - Enrolling in HP Instant Ink for help. Yes, you can access the Instant Ink Account and its services via mobile too.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ratsup, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you need help with printer setup, here are two documents that can help you-

HP Printers - Printing from a Chromebook

HP Printers - Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App

This should help you print wirelessly from the Chromebook. 

Once the printer is connected wireless, you can enroll in the HP Instant Ink Program. Refer to the document HP Printers - Enrolling in HP Instant Ink for help. Yes, you can access the Instant Ink Account and its services via mobile too.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Thanks, I will check out those documents (I will probably have to use them to guide set up over the phone!). 

I think the instant ink sign up was done over the mobile phone, so she has got that far. 

My daughter is concerned about having to put the printer right next to the router - does this make sense?

HP Recommended

@Ratsup

The printer need not be right next to the router, a couple of feet away also works. But if there is a space constraint and you'd want to place the printer next to the router, there is no harm too.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for your suggestions.  Am on the phone to the Technophobe. She can print from the chromebook using the usb cable. But cannot download the hp app from hp.  The download link does not appear on the hp online Officejet 8024 setup page.  Techophobe's friend has tried to download the app by searching the hp site for printer app download for Chrome. Found an hp app, downloaded it, and clicked on it. It is saying an offer has to be completed - M&S £100 vouchers or something else. Nothing to do with hp printer app. It is asking for her address. This does not feel right.  

The hp app is downloaded to her android phone, is this why she cannot download the app to her chromebook ?

Stuck.

HP Recommended

Progress. It looks as if the printer is saved to the Chromebook.  

The printer is connected to the wifi, and it prints!!  That took well over an hour to sort out.

Just hoping that now the printer is connected to the wifi, the ink cartridges will communicate with the HP account & Instant Ink.
Or will they still try to communicate via the android phone? 

HP Recommended

@Ratsup

The printer when connected to the network can directly communicate with Instant ink servers. That is sorted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.