Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Envy 6020

My new printer envy 6020 is constantly on (the blue light under the scanner and the WiFi light is always on) 

Is that normal or should it go into sleep mode after a while. 

I can't seem to turn it into sleep mode.  I thought it was Wi-Fi direct keeping it illuminated? 

So is it normal to have these two lights on? 

Cheers Mike 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Betty 

I am not able to set the printer to go into sleep mode! 

The WiFi Indicator and the blue light above the paper feeder is always illuminated! 

Is that normal or should it go out. 

I've tried to set it to power down at 10 minutes but the lights do not go off. 

Cheers Mike 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Miketg47

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Wi-Fi light should remain on.

Power usage is reduced while in Sleep mode. After initial setup of printer, the printer will enter Sleep mode after five minutes of inactivity. Use the HP Smart app to change the period of inactivity before the printer sleeps by selecting Advanced Settings. You can also change this setting using the printer’s embedded web server by completing the following steps. To change the time to Sleep mode 1. Open the embedded web server (EWS). For more information, see Open the embedded web server on page 35. 2. Click the Settings tab. 3. In the Power Management section, click Energy Save Mode, and select the desired option. NOTE: If prompted for a password, enter the PIN from the label on your printer. It might be near the cartridge access area inside the printer or on the back, side, or bottom of the printer. 4. Click Apply.

To open the embedded web server through a network 1. From the printer control panel, press and hold (the Information button) until all the buttons light up, and then press and at the same time to print the wireless network test report and network configuration page. 2. Find out the IP address or hostname of the printer from the network configuration page. 3. In a supported web browser on your computer, type the IP address or hostname assigned to the printer. For example, if the IP address is 192.168.0.12, type the following address into a web browser: https://192.168.0.12. To open the embedded web server from HP Smart (Windows and macOS) To open the embedded web server from HP Smart: 1. Click on the printer image. 2. Click Advanced Settings. To open the embedded web server through Wi-Fi Direct 1. Make sure Wi-Fi Direct is turned on. For more information, see Connect wirelessly without a router on page 29. 2. From your wireless computer, turn wireless on, then search for and connect to the Wi-Fi Direct name, for example: DIRECT-**-HP ENVY 6000 series. Enter the Wi-Fi Direct password when prompted. 3. In a supported web browser on your computer, type the following address: https:// 192.168.223.1.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

The WiFi Indicator is illuminated. Is it normal for a light blue light above the paper feeder to glow constantly?

Cheers Mike 

HP Recommended

Could you send us a picture of what you're referring to?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

I've attached a picture of the printer. 

The WiFi light is constantly on as is the blue light above the paper feeder. 

Is that normal or is the printer asleep? 

Cheers Mike 

20201025_212553.jpg

HP Recommended

20201025_212553.jpg

HP Recommended

@Miketg47

I understand your concerns.

In that case, please refer to the below link to perform the same.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03365241

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi. 

Your reply was not very helpful! 

The question is "should the WiFi Indicator and a blueish light over the paper tray be on constantly? 

Is that normal or should the blueish light go out. 

Is the printer sleeping when these two lights are on? 

Cheers Mike 

HP Recommended

Yes, as mentioned, please set the Printer to go to sleep mode, if you do not wish to see the lights on. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty 

I am not able to set the printer to go into sleep mode! 

The WiFi Indicator and the blue light above the paper feeder is always illuminated! 

Is that normal or should it go out. 

I've tried to set it to power down at 10 minutes but the lights do not go off. 

Cheers Mike 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.