Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479dw

Hi,

I am trying to configure the SMTP service to use my sendgrid account.

When I try to enter the same settings in the Settings => Email Alerts => Email Server and uses the "Save and Test" button, I get the error message "The device could not send the test email message. (emailServerSettingPage-ErrorIncorrectCredentials)"

i have double checked and tested a manual email client and a telenet version of the commands and when I do this, the authentication part works just fine.
One thing I am curious about and that I have experienced on other units is that there is a limit for the length of password. The password I need to use is in fact 93 characters long and if the printer cannot store that kind of long password, then this is probably the cause.

(The length of the password is the way sendgrid works where it uses an api key (a long string, 70 characters) that needs to be base64 encoded (to be used as an smtp password) and thus will generate a string of that length)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @dhvik 

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that you are not able to print your E-mail, I am glad to assist you.

please try these steps: Click here

Hope this helps!

Please perform these steps and Feel free to reply to your public post for any further assistance.

Thank you for being a Valuable Member of our HP Family.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

-Regards, 

Raj2111
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't have any problems printing. 

I am wondering if there is a limit on the length of the password for the SMTP configuration?
I have followed the instructions on the page you refer to but it does not work.

I have tested the configuration manually and they work in other applications.

However since the password is 93 characters long, I would like to know if you support that kind of passwords?

HP Recommended

Hi @dhvik 

Welcome back to the HP Support Community!

I understand that you want to know the password character limit, I am glad to assist you.

The limit is 50 charaters.

You may also refer to this documents: 

https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c04085355#en_ww-config_SMTP

https://wise.hp.com/wise/DocumentDetail/ams-en?docId=ish_6073069-6105666-16&contentType=Support%20Do...

Hope this helps!

Please perform these steps and Feel free to reply to your public post for any further assistance.

Thank you for being a Valuable Member of our HP Family.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

-Regards, 

Raj2111
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. 

Now I know that I cannot use the mail service i was hoping to use.

I have some feature request/recommendations

1) It should be great if the limit on the password length would be notified to the user in the configuration page. (with an error that states that we don't support passwords longer than x characters.). In this case I could have known this after 1 minute of testing the config page instead of searching for errors and support for hours.

2) the limit of the password could be increased to at least 150 characters to allow using mail services who utilizes api keys as passwords where these often are quite long

3) documentation states the limit of password/username (could be omitted if 1 is fixed)

HP Recommended

This needs to be fixed by firmware.  HP please fix!  Modern tokens exceed the 50 character limit that you put in your software for the email password field.  SendGrid is 69 characters.  The field needs to be pushed out to 256 characters.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.