Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M234dwe Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I got a new computer and this new printer, and it's newly installed. Also, the HP Smart software on my computer is newly installed.

when I followed the software instructions to setup my printer, I got an error popup at the end: "There was an unexpected error and we can't complete setup now"

I also tried to setup the printer with my phone, but got the same error.

so my question is where on my windows 11 can I find this "unexpected error" log file, so I can know what exactly happened? This message is useless! Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @11601,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Encountering an "unexpected error" message during printer setup can be frustrating, especially without specific details to guide troubleshooting. For HP printers and the HP Smart software, there's not a single, straightforward location for error logs related to installation issues because these logs can be distributed in various system locations. However, there are a few places and methods you can use to look for relevant error details on a Windows 11 system:

Event Viewer: Windows Event Viewer is a comprehensive log viewer that can display a wide array of system and application events. You can check here for error logs that might be related to your printer setup issue.

• Press Windows Key + X and select Event Viewer.
  • Navigate to Windows Logs > Application. Look for recent error events that might relate to HP Smart or printer setup. These logs may contain detailed information about what went wrong.

HP Smart App Diagnostic Information: Some applications, including HP Smart, may generate their own diagnostic files or logs. Check the documentation for HP Smart or explore its settings to see if there's an option to view logs or send diagnostic information to HP.

Temp Folders: Sometimes, installation processes log errors in temporary folders.

• Press Windows Key + R, type %temp%, and press Enter to open the Temp folder. Look for any files that could be related to the HP Smart installation or printer setup. There might be log files with relevant timestamps.
  • Also check the C:\Windows\Temp folder for any relevant log files.

Reliability Monitor: This is a tool that provides a timeline of system events and might include information on software installation failures.

• Search for Reliability Monitor in the Start menu and open it.
  • Look for red circles with an "X" on the timeline. These indicate critical events or errors. Click on them to see details, which might include information on the HP Smart software or printer setup failures.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @11601  ,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to follow up on the technical issue that we discussed earlier and confirm that it has been successfully resolved.

If you encounter any further issues or have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are here to assist you and provide any necessary support.

I will be archiving this case for now however, you can respond to the same thread to continue the conversation.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support 

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi many thanks for the reply. However, it doesn't help me to solve the problem. 

HP Recommended

Hi @11601 ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

This might require one-on-one interaction to fix the issue via remote assistance. 

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.