Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Laserjet MFP M130NW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Comcast replaced my old modem and router with a new "gateway." As a result, my wireless printer doesn't work anymore. I tried following the directions I found online to hook up the printer (using a USB cable between my laptop and printer), but it kept not recognizing the new printer and asking me for an IP address, which of course Comcast won't provide. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Hoping someone can help me. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I understand and thank you for checking with Comcast to answer my questions.

Let me explain what we are trying to do here, because there is already a cable connected between the printer and the computer (USB cable ) we are going to use that connectivity and the printer software to convert it wirelessly.

First, connect your computer to a 2.4GHz network.

Then open the printer assistant on your computer, click Utilities or Tools in the top menu bar, click Printer Setup & Software or Device Setup & Software, and then click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless to launch the utility.

Figure : Convert a USB connected printer to wireless utility in HP Printer Assistant

Convert a USB connected printer to wireless utility in HP Printer Assistant

and follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps!

Let me know!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @bluehwys,

I'd like to help!

To better assist -

What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?

I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network band?

Try the below steps to convert USB to wireless-

Change the connection type with the HP Printer Setup & Software utility or with the HP Smart app for Windows 10. Leave the USB cable connected until you are prompted to disconnect it.

Convert your USB connected HP printer to a wireless connection in Windows.

• HP Printer Setup & Software utility: Search Windows for 'HP', and then click the name of your printer in the results to open HP Printer Assistant. Click Utilities or Tools in the top menu bar, click Printer Setup & Software or Device Setup & Software, and then click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless to launch the utility.

Figure : Convert a USB connected printer to wireless utility in HP Printer Assistant

• HP Smart app: On the app home screen, look for a Make printing easier by connecting your printer wirelessly message at the top of the window. If it displays, click Learn More to start the guided conversion.

NOTE: 

If the message does not display, use the method to convert the connection through the HP Printer Setup & Software utility.

Figure : Set up the printer wirelessly in HP Smart

Set up a new printer feature in HP Smart

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I appreciate so much that you went to all the time and effort to reply. Thank you.

Unfortunately , I am not at all tech savvy and only understood about three words of your reply. (Think of your great-grandmother trying to do this. That's me.)

I can't expect you to stick with me as I attempt to work through all this, but I at least have answers to your two questions:

1. The wireless light is blinking.

2. I looked at the gateway on my account on the Xfinity (Comcast) website today and it showed both 2.4 and 5 GHz. I then called them to ask which one I'm actually on so that I could answer your question. The rep said she needed to adjust both my computer and printer to 2.4, which she did... but we still couldn't get the printer to work.

The screens I get are different than the "Figure:" screen shots in your reply. I will try yet again tomorrow, once I refortify myself with some sleep.

Thanks again for trying to help me.

HP Recommended

I understand and thank you for checking with Comcast to answer my questions.

Let me explain what we are trying to do here, because there is already a cable connected between the printer and the computer (USB cable ) we are going to use that connectivity and the printer software to convert it wirelessly.

First, connect your computer to a 2.4GHz network.

Then open the printer assistant on your computer, click Utilities or Tools in the top menu bar, click Printer Setup & Software or Device Setup & Software, and then click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless to launch the utility.

and follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps!

Let me know!

HP Recommended

I found this solution in the Xfinity Internet forum.  I don't think the HP support folks know enough about the Xfinity Gateway to steer you towards a working solution.  Hope this helps (it worked for me):

1. You will need to configure your xFinity Gateway to enable "zero config" before your AirPrint printer will appear in iOS devices, and also to stay alive as a Mac CUPS printer:
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/configure-device-discovery-for-wifi
    Zero config is apparently required to let Bonjour communications through.
HP Recommended

Yippee! I finally got the printer and modem to communicate.

Thanks so much for your help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.