Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5010
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

My MacBook Air (M1 2020) running Big Sur 11.2.3 will no longer verify my printer (HP ENVY 5010)  --  it was fine a week ago.  It is connected to the wifi as my husband can print from his PC successfully.  I managed to connect briefly and then all was lost again.

I have tried everything - uninstalling, reinstalling, turning it off and on again - moving printer closer to the router...I have tried downloading a link from HP site to update the firmware but the programme crashed.....what on earth is happening????

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@Maz23, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print from the Mac. Let us try these steps:

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. Open a new Terminal window (it's located in Applications > Utilities, or you can just start typing it in Spotlight).
  3. Enter “ping” followed by the IP address of the printer. 
  4. Press Return. Press ctrl C after 10 pings
  5. There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Install the printer using the AirPrint driver. 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners. 

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer. 

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list. 

4.) Click the plus sign click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name. 

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. 

Note: Select "Bonjour multifunction" under kind while installing.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

First thing to say is that my husbands PC running Windows 10 and can print from this printer on the home network.

I have tried downloading the firmware update but it just crashes -  the programme lists the printer and then I get the 'wheel of doom' and then it crashes.

I've checked the printer and it is automatically updating.

These are the results of the ping test:

--- 192.168.1.168 ping statistics ---

12 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

I've tried the air print option many times and nothing.....

Thank you for your help

Marion

HP Recommended

I have 100% packet loss on my HP Envy 4520 all in one printer with piniging on the terminal window as you suggest. My hub can see the printer. however I get the message: unable to verify the printer on your network when I try to reload the software. The print worked fine with my new Mac (M1) until recently.

HP Recommended

Exactly the same for me....it was working with my new MacBook Air M1 and then stopped about a week ago

HP Recommended

My son has an older Mac laptop and has the same issue. I'm wondering if HP have changed the firmware and this is making communications with the HP apple app I use for printing and scanning. I have spoken to apple and they asking me to print from by iPad, which I can normally do without issue. It did not work. I hence do not believe this is an Apple issue as iPads and Mac have different operating systems. 

HP representatives. Can you help?

HP Recommended

@Maz23, @Kevin1404

The PING test shows a 100% packet loss, which means there is no connectivity between the devices. 

Did you check if both the devices are coonected to the same wireless network?

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

If the printer is not connected to the network, 

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network Setup > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard and select your network.

Once done, try the PIN test again and if it is 0% loss, try printing.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'll give a go however why would a system suddenly change between 2.4Ghz and 5GHz? Remember it has work fine and without issues. There is no event I can identify that may have caused the issue. None of my Apple devices iPads or Mac can currently print.

HP Recommended

Kumar,

I have a dual band router. All of my devices work fine without me having to make special arrangements with my brand band provider. Indeed my printer was fine until the last week or so. It does not seem reasonable for HP to expect loyal customers to make special arrangements with their brand band provider in have different names for both bands. What has happened? Something has changed.

HP Recommended

Printer is now not connecting properly with the PC in the house.....We haven't changed anything so can only assume it is a problem with the printer....going to have to ditch and move brand

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.