Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 6000 series
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

When trying to use our wireless printer from time to time, it seems unresponsive. The only way to really get it to print is to restart it. Is that what we always need to do before printing now? If there are other setting to check, I’d be curious as to what those would be?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@yNoTbigT

Welcome to the HP support community.

Are you getting any error messages while printing?

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No errors, just an unresponsive printer. There isn’t a display on the printer, and the computer job queue says it’s offline. 

HP Recommended

@yNoTbigT

I understand that you are getting printer connectivity issues.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

Check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.   

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

What is the distance between the router and the printer?

Is there antivirus software installed on your Mac?

Make sure the dual-band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks 

Could you perform a ping test and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Click Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  2. type ping "IP address" and press enter

Wait until 10 pings have been performed and then press ctrl c on the keyboard and hit return. 

The results will appear.

Share the ping test results.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I have check on these troubleshooting steps:

Bonjour not blocked
Distance between printer and router is about 10 feet
No Antivirus
Bands are different, I have different names for SSID 2.4G and 5G on my router

PING 192.168.0.33 (192.168.0.33): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=35.917 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=5.610 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=13.350 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=14.138 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=20.811 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=27.952 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=13.283 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=12.823 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=12.580 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.33: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=41.472 ms

This happens (again intermittently) when on MacOS, iOS (iPhone with the the HP app) and Windows 10 desktop. I use that HP Smart app and some times we use the printer e-mail send stuff via that e-mail. 

HP Recommended

@yNoTbigT

We can try and fix this issue by assigning a public DNS address.

It’s very simple as explained below:

•    Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.

•    Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer's EWS page.

•    Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

•    Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

•    Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to            your printer.

•    Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate             type  8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Followed directions exactly and saved my settings. Was able to get back to the settings just to verify everything was saved.

Now when trying to print, it just hangs and says Printer not responding. I have restarted the printer a couple of times too.

I am still able to ping the address, so not sure what the issue is?

PING 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.3): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=52.664 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=33.949 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=16.477 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=15.643 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=17.766 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=21.017 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=13.658 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=13.657 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.3: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=27.952 ms

HP Recommended

@yNoTbigT

Are you using the HP Smart app?

Did you try to print different types of documents?

Meanwhile, 

Update the MAC

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click Software Update.
  3. Click Update Now or Upgrade Now: Update Now installs the latest updates for the currently installed version.

Update the printer firmware 

Here are the steps:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am using the HP Smart App most of the time (or trying too) and some times if I'm in Word or trying to print a PDF I'm in a different app and go to File --> Print. HP printer is a printer setup on my computer as a default.

I checked to make sure all devices, Windows, MacBook, iPhone all are updated with the latest update.

I did check to make sure the printer is also setup with the latest firmware as well.

Seems I always still need to restart the printer before it is detected / or online to use it.

HP Recommended

@yNoTbigT

This might require one on one interaction o fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.