Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

I am fit to be tied as for no reason at all, my HP Officejet 6500 printer is connected but it will not print anything because it says there is no connection; utility says the status is idle -- cannot figure this out for anything -- what in the world am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @lindyd ,

I see that you are getting a message that "there is no connection". I can help you.

Check the connections, if you are using a USB cable.

Try another USB cable, if you have one available.

Printer Idle on Mac, Repair the Disk Permissions on the :

✔️Close all applications.

✔️On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.

✔️Double-click Disk Utility.

✔️Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.

✔️Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

:Arrow_Right:Restart the computer..

:Arrow_Right:Reset the Printing System:

📝Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.

Click OK to confirm the reset.

Type the correct Name and Password.

Click OK to reset the printing system.

Then click the + sign to add the driver, you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name, then click on the Add button.

:Arrow_Right:Test the printer again.

:Arrow_Right:What operating system are you using? Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @lindyd ,

I see that you are getting a message that "there is no connection". I can help you.

Check the connections, if you are using a USB cable.

Try another USB cable, if you have one available.

Printer Idle on Mac, Repair the Disk Permissions on the :

✔️Close all applications.

✔️On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.

✔️Double-click Disk Utility.

✔️Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.

✔️Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

:Arrow_Right:Restart the computer..

:Arrow_Right:Reset the Printing System:

📝Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.

Click OK to confirm the reset.

Type the correct Name and Password.

Click OK to reset the printing system.

Then click the + sign to add the driver, you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name, then click on the Add button.

:Arrow_Right:Test the printer again.

:Arrow_Right:What operating system are you using? Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02,

Thanks SO much for your help -- I followed your instructions to the letter and have made progress -- at

last my Mac is communicating with the printer!

However,  the dumb thing still will not print; I have been going in circles today trying everying I can think

of -- but after sending a print job (btw, I have an OSX system 10.9.5), all that happens is that it says the

printer is in use but "sends" the data continuously w/out actually printing it!

Go figure ~ I am confident that you can help again ~ the next step will be the printer doctor, lol --

thanks in advance again  🙂

HP Recommended

Hi lindyd,

So we are making some progress then. Smiley Happy

Are you connected by a USB cable or networked?

I checked online and the drivers are installed by the Apple Updates for this model.

Try and print a hardware self test on the printer to find out if it is a hardware or software issue.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

If the printer is networked, check the IPv4 address to see if it is valid.

Try and access the printer's Embedded Web Server by typing the IP address into your web browser's address bar, to see if it loads. (Safari)

Please check the driver name that installed for the printer.

Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences. Click Printers & Scanners, highlight the printer name on the left side and on the right side of the screen it should show the printer's name. (Officejet 6500)

If the full printer name isn't listed correctly, delete it and add the printer name back in from the list. Click the - sign to delete the driver and then click the + sign to add the driver, might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in.

check driver name.jpg

check driver name 2.jpg

Your welcome to attach a screen shot.

Let me know the results and how the printer is connected.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

You are a genius. I had tried everything. All I did was the right click "reset printer" part of your instructions, and it worked like a charm. From a busy, homeschooling parent, you rock!

HP Recommended

i have tried this protocol. Sadly it does not solve the issue. The job initiates, at least according to the Print Monitor, but then returns to an "idle" state, and without printing the job.

Ironically, the printer works if printing wirelessly. Not so with wired printing.

please advise.

HP Recommended

Using Mojave

Using USB

tried all above but still get "IDLE"

Can U Help

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.