Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M553dn

Having difficulties connecting my M553 (new to me) to my wireless network. Was able to remove the other owner's password by performing a factory reset. Cannot get the printer onto the network--not sure how to do this, and HP's Smart software doesn't help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You have purchased a wireless accessory? It doesn't come with a printer from the factory.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Here's the scoop: I was gifted an HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M553 yesterday. I received no other resources (accompanying software, etc.)--just the printer. I spent 7 hours trying to get it set up.  

Initially, since the printer had been set up with a password (which I hadn't been given), I reset it to factory settings. Then,  I downloaded the drivers file, used HP Smart, HP Smart Installer to my laptop. Tried everything I could, and also  tried to get the printer recognized wirelessly on my Wifi network but it never showed up as a printer to connect, no matter what I did.

(Note that months ago I successfully installed my 200-series HP LaserJet and it's still working fine (and wirelessly).

I even tried getting the software installed on the M553 printer from my laptop using a USB cable connection. Did this 3x, but after getting to 99% completion each time, it 'timed out' (its words). 

Very frustrating. Not sure what else I can do, other than to **bleep**. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.