Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 6055e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have my printer hooked up via USB and Wireless Network Interface is turned off.  Same with BLE and Airprint and IPP - all off.  My goal is to have all radio/wifi to be turned off on the printer BUT it will not let me turn off Wi-Fi Direct so I still see a broadcasting SSID from the printer that I do not want.  I have connected to the printer EWS and go to Network->Wi-Fi Direct but it just says "The printer is currently busy running a wireless setup process using Wi-Fi Direct, so Wi-Fi Direct settings are not available at this time. Wait for up to 2 hours, and then refresh the browser window."  This never changes regardless of how long I wait and is clearly stuck like this.  How can I fix and finally turn this "feature" that I don't actually want fully OFF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks.  This inspired another idea which ended up working out for all those who may encounter in the future.  What I ended up doing was:

Use my phone to connect to the wifi-direct SSID.  From there I went to 192.168.223.1 in my phone's browser which took me to the EWS settings.  Then I was able to go to the settings and turn wifi-direct OFF.  It disconnected me immediately after and now it shows as off from my PC and the direct SSID is no longer broadcasting. 

It STILL has the message about being "busy running a wireless setup process" but whatever, everything seems to FINALLY be turned off.  HP does not make these modern printers easy to use as a "dumb" printer just directly connected to a computer which is all I ever wanted!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jshuey22 

If you have not done so,

Consider:  Switch OFF Printer Discovery

Printing – Network Discovery (see and share printer on your network)

Verify / Switch-on / off  Network discovery and File and Printer sharing:

Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing Center

Change  advanced sharing settings

Under Private (current profile) , Public Networks , All Networks

Network Discovery

Select / (Switch off = UNCheck) Turn on network discovery

Check / (Switch off = UNCheck) Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices

File and printer sharing

Select / (Switch off = UNCheck) Turn on file and printer sharing

If applicable,

HomeGroup Connections

Select / De-Select Allow windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)

Save Changes

-----------------------------------------

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

Printer Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks @Dragon-Fur.

I tried turning off network discovery and printer sharing as you suggested but no luck.  The same message remains on the Wi-Fi Direct Status page - "The printer is currently busy running a wireless setup process using Wi-Fi Direct, so Wi-Fi Direct settings are not available at this time. Wait for up to 2 hours, and then refresh the browser window."

HP Recommended

@jshuey22 

It was a minor hope, I guess.

The following is written for a different root issue -- if the process is something that can be stopped,  the Restart / Reset might help kill the internal printer process.

Printer Turns Off Unexpectedly or Repeatedly

What else?

If you are willing to have the printer on your network long enough to look at the Embedded Web Server (EWS), you can get a better idea of what the printer can do to accommodate your choices.

You can also use EWS without a connection to your network.

User Guide >> Page 36

Be Aware >> Using the tools and settings in EWS, you might be able to essentially break the printer to the point where you cannot speak to it at all.  Extreme example:  Do not be tempted to switch on the printer Security password.  What?  Printer passwords are great -- and they work -- until they don't.   What?  If you lock up your printer,  We (non-HP people) cannot provide unlock solutions.

-----------------------------------------

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY 6055e All-in-One Printer

Enter the device type and model name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks.  This inspired another idea which ended up working out for all those who may encounter in the future.  What I ended up doing was:

Use my phone to connect to the wifi-direct SSID.  From there I went to 192.168.223.1 in my phone's browser which took me to the EWS settings.  Then I was able to go to the settings and turn wifi-direct OFF.  It disconnected me immediately after and now it shows as off from my PC and the direct SSID is no longer broadcasting. 

It STILL has the message about being "busy running a wireless setup process" but whatever, everything seems to FINALLY be turned off.  HP does not make these modern printers easy to use as a "dumb" printer just directly connected to a computer which is all I ever wanted!

HP Recommended

@jshuey22 

Update EWS examples

You are welcome.

EWS is an excellent -- and in some cases  necessary - option.

For those reading,

In addition to  the suggestions mentioned in previous posts,

Add this document to your reading list:

EWS > HP Document / How-to

Use the HP printer Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Example -  OfficeJet Pro 9025 - EWS - Network > Wi-Fi Direct > Status > Edit Settings

Note:  EWS Features / Options are printer model dependent

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wi-Fi Direct > Status > Edit Settings > change and Apply

9025_EWS_Network_Wi-Fi_Direct_Status_Edit_19025_EWS_Network_Wi-Fi_Direct_Status_Edit_1

General example using EWS

EWS – Browser – Tray and Paper Management

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

Model Dependent:  Advanced section

Click Apply to save changes

Happy Isolated Network.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.