Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6954
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed the printer as recommended and it passed the Wireless Network Test and the HP Configuration Page.

When I open Devices and Printers, I can see HPB970E4 (HP OfficeJet 6950), and the State is shown as "Network Connected" with a Status -" Driver is unavailable".  Anything that I try including reinstalling the printer still shows the same.

If I try to print from Word, the only printer option that shows is "Fax - HP OfficeJet 6950".

I have gone thru all the troubleshooting procedures recommended, with not success.

I should mention that my network uses MAC filtering and that I have added the printer MAC Address into the router configuration.

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Please Uninstall and Reinstall the FULL feature software following these steps:

1. Uninstall the software in your computer
2. Download and save the FULL feature software (do not install it online)

The following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

3. Install the FULL feature “Saved” software

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

If you are not sure how to do this, the following resource will walk you through the steps:

How to Uninstall Download & Reinstall a Printer software

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately it still does't work.

Uninstalled the printer sw and reinstalled according to the instructions.

Curiously, after I enrolled in the printer replacement plan and continued the "Easy Installation", the next step hung without completion.

If I try to redo the recommended steps, I find that I can't uninstall the software since it doesn't show up in the program listings -- even though I did get a response on installation that it was installed.

Now, when I list printers, the HP shows up, but it still states "Driver unavailable"

Have to say, this is the most cumbersome setup I have encountered in a long time!

HP Recommended

HI @knute97

Any chance that you can remove the Mac address filtering and see if everything works?

Else, can you try to logon another account in Win 10 and try installing and using the printer?

Can let us know if either of these suggestions work?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Removed the printers MAC address and turned off MAC address filtering.

Still no success.   My router configuration page shows HP970E4 as connected, but the printer doesn't show as an option when I try to print from any application.

Still showing "Driver unavailable" in the printer page.   Also, why does FAX - HP OfficeJet 6950 show as an installed printer but not the HP 6954?

HP Recommended

HI,

Can you try to select your printer as default from the control panel?

Example as shown.

Thanks.

set as default printer.jpg

HP Recommended

No, I cannot set it as the default printer.

I give up -- I am going to return the printer!

I tried multiple times to uninstall and reinstall the printer wirelessly w/o success unsing the online installation guide.

I tried installing the printer from the CD without success.

I even tried to install the printer via a USB connection and that didn't work.

When I tried to print from Word using the only listing for the 6954 -- Fax-HP Office Jet 6954 -- the error msg said the printer wasn't installed.  When I tried to delete this printer, it wouldn't delete!

In addition, never have I had so many lockups and recycles with the HP installation and troubleshooting software that required me to resort to Task Manager to escape.

HP Recommended

Because  the printer box showed damage as shipped, the vendor allowed me to return the printer and gave me an exchange.

Unfortunately, the HP OfficeJet 6954 replacement is still giving me problems on installation!

I followed all the instructions for installation, including the HP troubleshooter and, while the printer shows as connected with the HP Connected program, the Windows Devices and Printer link shows:

HP Devices & Printers.png

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software with no success.  Also deleted and reinstalled the printer from the Devices and Printer screen.  Still cannot get the printer recognized and working.

Curiously, I tried to use the printer with my Dell laptop and the printer is recognized and was able to print a test page.

Why can't I get this printer to work on my HP desktop????

HP Recommended

Hi,

Suspect that the printer might have  disabled the Function Discovery.  Can you try this:

1. Right Click on the Windows Start button and go to Control Panel

2. View by "Small Icons" and go to Administrative tools

3. Click on Services

4. Go to Function Discovery Provider Host  and Function Discovery Resource Publication, make sure both are "Started"

5. Install your FULL feature software again.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but I had tried that during some of the troubleshooting programs.

Anyway, I repeated it as you suggested and they are running

HP functions etc..png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.