Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
8620 HP Officejet Pro
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

The document feeder will not load pages to be scanned. The scanning function works fine if I put the item to be scanned on the document bed page by page.

The auto document feeder works fine for copying, just not scanning. It doesn't matter if I initiate scanning from the touchpad on the printer or if I initiate scanning directly from my computer.

It used to work OK. One day, it just stopped. I cannot tell you a specific event that may have triggered it to stop working.

Thanks in advance for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum.

The ADF may have pieces of paper debris stuck or the latch (green color latch as shown in the picture)  may be in the wrong position.

ADF latch must be center.jpg

Can you check that it's in the centre position? (you can push it and note the positions)  Once that's done close the ADF cover and try scanning again.

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up”  as an encouragement.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

I checked and there is nothing out of place or that shouldn't be there.

Please note that the ADF works when copying, just not when scanning.

When I load the document, the printer chimes and says "original document loaded". It will feed the document for copying. It will not feed the document for scanning.

If I press "scan", it will scan the empty document bed, but will not feed the documents from the ADF.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you installed the full feature software driver?

If you have not, you can download from this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer-series/53...

After downloading and installing the software, you can click on the printer icon (on the desktop) and the HP Printer Assistant will start.

Click on scan and the Scan dialog box will pop up. 

Make sure you select the Source to be "Use Document Feeder if Loaded."

An example is shown below on selecting "Save as PDF" with the Source being the ADF.

save as pdf_source adf.jpg

Here's some recommended videos on Scanning that would be useful.

Scanning Multiple photos:

HP Officejet Pro 8630

https://goo.gl/ADYDmo

Scanning Tips:

HP Officejet Pro 8630

https://goo.gl/fjZvqM

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up”  as an encouragement.

HP Recommended

Green Turtle:

Thank you very much for your assistance. I wound up calling HP Support today. We ran through several of the steps you suggested and still could not get it to work. Apparently the motherboard/firmware in the printer is not functioning properly and they are sending me a new printer.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your printer is defective.

Glad to note that you're receiving a replacement unit.

Have a good day/evening!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, but with an HP CM1415fnw.  This particular problem started when I made the mistake of updating the software with the October 2015 revision.  The automatic feeder will work for copying, but not for scanning.  Could it be that the "TWAIN" feature is somehow turned off for scanning?  If so, how does one turn it on again?

Thanks for any help.

Arnold Falk

HP Recommended
I am having the same issue with my HP 8610 Office jet
HP Recommended

This solution worked perfectly for me, at least for now!  Thanks.  My HP Officejet Pro 8600 has been a workhorse.  This is the first problem I've had with it.  I just moved the button gently and it worked!  It is tax season and I'm busy as heck.  Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.