Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I attempt to scan, syatem tries to install "Scan.msi" but cannot find it. I get the error message "Error 1706. No valid source cvould be found for product scan. The Windows Installer cannot continue". If I repeatedly cancel attepts to configure "Scan.msi," the Oficejet L7590 AIO finally scans successifly. However all future scan attempts result in the same problem.

After reinstalling the latest software from the HP site the product worked fine for a while, but eventually the problem recurred. When I do a search of my hard drive for "Scan.msi," no such file is found. It appears that the Scan.msi file is getting deletted somehow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi digimon11.

Based on the mentioned article, please browse to the temporery folder (Start -> Run -> %temp%)

and look for a folder which starts with "7Z.....".

if there are few, look for the newest one.

Open this folder, and browse into setup folder, and then into scan folder.

Inside it, you will see a file called scan.msi (maybe the file type won't be presented, however you can identify it by the installation icon.

Right click on it, and select Repair.

Hope that helps..

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

donquacker,

Here's a link to the hp website that talks about this problem.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01007968

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
HP Recommended
Thanks!
HP Recommended
The link provided was helpful and I temporarily cleared tke problem. However, the problem came back and I have been unable to correct it. I have not yet tried the cleanup utility because the CAUTION message has me spookd. Any other suggestions? HP really needs to give the users some help on this one.
HP Recommended

I absolutely hate dealing with HP web install software for this reason.  I think for years on multiple computers it's like a crap game where 50% of the time the install file will not be able to find the files it needs to continue.  Only the CDs that came with the products have ever worked but when you update something the web software or updates cannot find files they need and I end up spending hours if not days getting things working again.

Thank you for the link!

HP Recommended

Shoot.  I did the full install exe file download and the software extracted I believe but it gives no indication where and I could not find the referenced files or folders scan.msi or 7s* in windows search.  I'm sure we'll get things squared and the information was helpful in that at least it is a known problem and we hope to find the known solution.  Do you know why so many HP web products do this with the web update or install software?  I have gotten this a lot with HP where if you don't have the CD or upgrade operating systems sometimes you are in trouble because the web software has a hard time finding its own files it needs.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi digimon11.

Based on the mentioned article, please browse to the temporery folder (Start -> Run -> %temp%)

and look for a folder which starts with "7Z.....".

if there are few, look for the newest one.

Open this folder, and browse into setup folder, and then into scan folder.

Inside it, you will see a file called scan.msi (maybe the file type won't be presented, however you can identify it by the installation icon.

Right click on it, and select Repair.

Hope that helps..

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

FIXED!

My goodness.  The software, with no user notification, hid the files in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\7zS7069\setup\scan" where windows search did not see it.  I found this by backtracking from the path it was trying to pull it from and going through folders.

I saved a copy of the 7zS7069 folder because I know this will eventually come up again someday long after windws has cleaned out that temp folder.  At least I have the files now and an idea how to get through this next time without trying to cancel and cancel and cancel until just getting basic functions back.  I think this really fixed the problem and will save me time next time I try an HP web update with much more confidence.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Glad you were able to get a fix. It is good that someone who works for HP  finally became interested in solving the  problem. It has been over a year since I first posted this problem, so my memory may not be perfect. But as I recall, I made the fix using the link provided (finding the temp folder containing scan.msi), but later the scan.msi file was relocated to another temp folder and I had to search for it again (and again) and never found a satisfactory solution. I eventually upgraded my printer to an Officejet Pro L7590 and no longer have the problem.

HP Recommended

Digimon11...

I did as suggested and found the 7Z....files in my Temp folder.   But when I opened the newest one there is nothing in the folder.  No files at all.   I am thinking I should uninstall and reinstall, but I am working on an HP computer too and can't differentiate between the HP computer and HP printer files.   I don't want to uninstall any of my HP computer files.  Any other suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.