Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4502
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi. I recently changed my router from Plusnet standard issue router to a Tenda AC15. I have not had any trouble connecting all my other home devices to the new router, but the exception is the printer (I have instant ink too, so need to get back online ASAP).

The situation is when setting up wireless settings using the wizard on the printer, it recognises the Tenda router but after I have put in the password for the router, I get the above error code.

I have tried a few things (after reading other posts from people with similar problems) - resetting the printer to default settings, restarting the router, connecting using the WPS button on the router but nothing seems to be working.  I'm not very knowledgeable on networking / router issues so please could you 'dumb down' your answers so I can hopefully understand.  Some other people I noticed suggested that I check my router's MAC settings but (unless it's called something else), there is nothing in the router's settings that allows me to view or change MAC settings.

Finally, not sure if it's relevant, but after all the resets etc, when I printed a report off the printer, it still shows the SSID as my old Plusnet router.

Hope someone can help

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings @Jumbotron111

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to setup your printer with your new router. 

Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Are you able to make a copy on the printer?

As you have mentioned that the old SSID is mentioned on the report. 

Network reset needs to be done the printer. 

Please refer to page number 7 in the printer manual to reset the network settings to defaults. Click here for the printer manual. 

Once it is done, you will be able to configure the printer on your new router. 

Note: HP Printers do not work or connect to 5Ghz networks. If you are using a dual band router, please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks and connect the printer to the 2.4Ghz network. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work - I still can't connect to the network after resetting the network settings. On the Network Test Results report, my network name is now showing as 'Not Set' and under Connectivity - Connected says "Not Run"

As it did before, the printer works fine (all functions) via the USB but although it can pick up the router when I use the wireless setup wizard it is still delivering the previous error code after I enter the wireless password.

I have also tried to do the 'convert USB printer to wireless' but that ended with a message, "Your printer failed to join the wireless network."

I then downloaded a troubleshooter from HP but no joy from that either... and another 2 hours wasted. There's no MAC filters on my router that I can see... parental filters are per device but my printers MAC  address doesn't show on the list of connected devices.  My printer only picks up the router name for the 2.4ghz channel.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. Recommend you to do a reset on the printer and try to configure the printer again. 

I will be sending you the Reset procedure as a private message, please check your inbox after logging into your account on HP Forums. 

Good luck. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the reply - the reset worked but I am still getting the same error message.

When I eventually found the method of contacting HP for telephone support I saw the charges and have been put off.  Not happy with HP at the moment... every other device, TV, mobile, laptop, Pi connected with no issue so very frustrated at this issue with the printer.

Anyway, I have put too many hours into trying to fix this. Going to cancel instant ink and find a new printer.  Grrrrr

HP Recommended

@Jumbotron111 This is a router issue, not a printer issue. You should be able to resolve the issue by either updating the router firmware or creating a guest network. 

Take a look at this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Envy-4504-error-code-0XB80956B8/td-p/5186363

I know this has been a frustrating situation for you but before you go and get another printer and have the same issue I think this is work trying. 

Cheers,
Lisa
 - HP Instant Ink Support

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks Sunshyn2005 - the solution you offered (setting up a guest network) fixed the problem provided my laptop or any other device I want to print from is also connected to the same guest network.

Unfortunately the solution came too late for me as I have already cancelled instant ink and made other arrangements but hopefully this will help others.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.