Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am unable to scan with a Deskjet 2050 J510.  Diagnostic says this is a WIA error.  Have failed using Win Live Photo Gallery and Paint.  Is there a solution as I feel HP have sold me something that is not fit for purpose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi raydavies,

Please verify the following OS services are enabled and try scanning again:

1. From the Start menu, open the Run Dialog (Start > Run / pressing both the Windows key of the keyboard and R simultanly).
  2. Type services.msc and click OK.
  3. Localte the 'Shell Hardware Detection' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically from its properties.
  4. Localte the 'Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well
  5. Localte the 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well

I believe the steps above should solve the scanning issue.

Please let me know of any change,

shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi raydavies,

Please verify the following OS services are enabled and try scanning again:

1. From the Start menu, open the Run Dialog (Start > Run / pressing both the Windows key of the keyboard and R simultanly).
  2. Type services.msc and click OK.
  3. Localte the 'Shell Hardware Detection' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically from its properties.
  4. Localte the 'Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well
  5. Localte the 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' in the list. If it is not enabled/started, Make sure to enable/start the service. Also make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well

I believe the steps above should solve the scanning issue.

Please let me know of any change,

shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi shlomi,

Many thanks.  It works.  I spent several hours trying to resolve this problem and you have done it in a few minutes.

raydavies

HP Recommended

Your answer has helped me solve my problem. I love you! Thanks!

HP Recommended

It still won't work for me, I have done steps 1-4 and with step number 5 it says the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) has started but in properties the startup type is greyout but is on automatic so that should still be ok. Any other tips?

HP Recommended

I've done all five steps but it is still NOT working.

it keeps saying "failed to connect with scanner", while printing is not a problem

i can print, copy, but NOT scan!

please help !!! appreciate !

P.S.: i have the HP deskjet 1050 all-in-one printer

HP Recommended

Also, my printer is HP deskjet 1050 J410G all-in-one printer, can you reply please?

HP Recommended

Suggestion did not work and I think it is a problem with HP Solution Centre. I can scan music using Photoscore and have now downloaded freeOCR to circumvent the problem and that also scans ok. I have a photosmart 2710 and am disappointed that the support people do not wnt to know about the problem as it is over 5 years old, even when I point out that the scan works with other programs. Do they not support the software also? I find freeOCR very good so maybe HP's indifference has done me a favour.

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution to wia scan error, I have the same problem. WIA seems to be started and had the RPc and Shell HD dependancies, but still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hi Ralphhu51,

I understand that you are getting a WIA error message when trying to scan using your HP Printer. To be able to assist further with the issue I just need a bit more information.

First what is the model number for your printer?

Printer Model Number

Second what is the model number for your computer?

Notebook Model Number

Desktop Model Number

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.