Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus

Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Pro

Error Message:  Paper detected does not match paper size or type selected

This error message appears on the printer display panel any time a custom paper size has been configured in Word (or any other application) and the matching paper size & type has been inserted in the Officejet Pro 8600 paper tray.  This error is generated by the printer regardless of orietation or margins or paper size setup in the document to match the actual paper in the paper tray.  After you press "OK" on the printer display panel, the printer ejects the sheet of paper correctly.  Since this printer does not have a manual bypass tray, the custom paper is always inserted in Tray1 and is the only paper in this Tray1.  This is a single tray 8600 Plus.

What am I doing wrong?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Unfortunately, you cannot print on an "undefined" paper size with out printers. While the feature is available in word, our printers only recognize the main paper sizes (these change depending on the country sometimes).

The reason for this is because non-defined paper sizes open the printer and the print job to a number of risks including paper jams or misaligned printing. This is why the feature is no longer on HP printers.

I would recommend finding a traditional paper type that is close to the size you want to print on and selecting that in the page setup of the print job as a work-around for this issue.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended
What are you trying to print on? Is it truly a "custom" paper size, or is it one of the alternate supported paper sizes (legal, R4, etc...)? This information is very important in determining the best answer for you.

Let me know!
HP Recommended

It is truly a "custom paper size" not available in any of the pre-defined paper sizes.  The paper size defined in Word as a "custom size" is exactly the size of the actual paper inserted in the printer.  The same error is generated by the printer no  matther what "custom size" you define in the application with the same actual paper size inserted in the printer.  For example, The "custom size" defined in Word is 4.75" x 6.25" and a piece of 4.75" x 6.25" paper is inserted in the printer.  The error is generated by the 8600 Plus regardless of the orientation, portrait or landscape, and regardless of the margins defined in the application.  I hope that better clarifies the problem.  Thank-you for your assistance.

HP Recommended
Unfortunately, you cannot print on an "undefined" paper size with out printers. While the feature is available in word, our printers only recognize the main paper sizes (these change depending on the country sometimes).

The reason for this is because non-defined paper sizes open the printer and the print job to a number of risks including paper jams or misaligned printing. This is why the feature is no longer on HP printers.

I would recommend finding a traditional paper type that is close to the size you want to print on and selecting that in the page setup of the print job as a work-around for this issue.

I hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Are you kidding me? I'm trying to print a #9 envelope.  It's not listed as a "defined print size" and I get a similar error every time.  I've spent hours working on this on my own and just spent an additional hour with tech support on the phone (with no resolution). Are you saying it's impossible to print a #9 envelope on an HP OFFICEjet PROFESIONAL Printer??

HP Recommended

Hi MFlem, you can try using a alternate driver for the 8600 on your Windows computer.

Take a look at this url.

Use the Deskjet 9800 driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

This is truly idiotic. I'm not trying to use a tiny envelope, and this is a faily standard (smaller size) envelope - 4-7/8 x 6 1/2.  I cannot believe that there is no way around the autodetect feature.  I have inserted the correct size in "custom" and still get the error.  Only path is to cancel and the job is ended.  Ridiculous!  I'll need to buy another manufacturer's printer to perform simple correspondence.  This is a serious weakness in your product!

HP Recommended

Hi NewHopeFarm,

Here are the instructions, direct from the User Guide:

Print on envelopes (Windows)
1. Load envelopes print-side down in the tray. For more information, see Load media.
2. On the File menu in your software application, click Print.
3. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected.
4. To change settings, click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties,
Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.
5. On the Layout tab, change the orientation to Landscape.
6. Click Paper/Quality, and then select the appropriate envelope type from the Paper
Size drop-down list.
TIP: You can change more options for the print job by using the features
available on the other tabs in the dialog box.
7. Click OK, and then click Print or OK to begin printing.

Print on envelopes (Mac OS X)
1. Load envelopes in the tray. For more information, see Load media.
2. Select a paper size:
a. From the File menu in your software application, click Page Setup.
NOTE: If you do not see a Page Setup menu item, go to step 3.
b. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected in the Format For pop-up
menu.
c. Select the appropriate envelope size from the Paper Size pop-up menu, and
then click OK.
3. From the File menu in your software application, click Print.
4. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected.
5. Select the appropriate envelope size in the Paper Size pop-up menu (if available).
6. Select the Orientation option.
NOTE: If you do not see these options, click the blue disclosure triangle next
to the Printer pop-up menu.
7. Select any other print settings that you want, and then click Print to begin printing.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I really appreciate that you are trying to help.  The paper size I am using is not listed, so I follwed the user manual instructions, used the "custom" option and inserted the dimensions right off the manufacturer's pkg.  Got the "Does Not Match Size Detected" error and subsequent job cancel.  I checked the dimensions with my trusty school ruler, inserted the dimensions manually, tried again with same results.  Is there no way to just disable the size autodetect feature?

HP Recommended

You are welcome.  I'll do my best to help.  Can you go into "Reports" and print a status report? On the report, it gives the Firmware version number.  Would you reply with that please?

Thanks!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.