Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

New HP Officejet Pro 8610 is unable to connect to the community wireless network in my apartment complex.  I have entered in the correct password for the correct network...I have checked this at least 100 times.  All my other wireless devices, desktop, laptop, tablet and other printer (which died, hence buying this HP 8610) were a breeze to connect to the network.  The router for the wifi in the building is not accessible by myself.  I have not made any changes to any settings on my desktop other than shutting off all firewalls and anti virus while trying to connect the printer to wireless.  Which, did not help.

I downloaded the drivers (online) and also downloaded the "Troubleshoot HP Installation Failure Network" software from HP and followed those instructions.  Got to the point of the only option left is to access the router, which as I had mentioned, I do not have access to. 

I have spent MANY hours on this and am about ready to take this back to the store and get an Epson. 

I would appreciate any help. 

IF it boils down to the only option is to access the router, I would have to get in touch with the management of the building to see if that is even possible, but would prefer to exhaust any other options first.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @Blondie1218 ,

I see that you are having issues setting up the printer on the wireless network. I can help you with this.

What happens when you run the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer? (error for incorrect credentials)

Setup the printer as a USB connection, then configure the wireless by the USB connection.

1. Click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, click HP, click the folder for your printer, and then click the icon for your printer. The printer software opens.
  2. Click Printer Setup & Software Selection.
  3. Click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless or Connect a new printer (the phrase differs depending on the version of software your computer is running).
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the printer on a wireless network.

Here is another document for setting up the printer over the wireless network.

Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless or Wired Network for the HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 86...

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a wonderful day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.

To answer your question when trying to connect to wireless network, this is the message I get:

Your printer failed to join the wireless network.  Issue:  MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router.

Solution:  If MAC address filtering is enabled on your router you should disable it.  If you would like to keep it enabled, you must first add the MAC address of your printer (shown above) to the list of permitted devices for your wireless router before continuing.

I had to buy a USB cord (seems USB cord's no longer are included with printers) and after I uninstalled all printer software, re-start both computer and printer, I started over with the USB cord connected.  I am now able to print from my desktop computer only  (which is connected via USB cord).  The operating system on the desktop computer, that is currently being used with the printer is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

HOWEVER, I have a Sony Vaio with Windows 8.1 operating system, a Lennova tablet and a Samsung SIII (phone)  that is curently connected to the wireless network that I'm unable to access the printer.

I purchased the HP 8610 because of it's features of being able to print from any of my computers and especially printing from my phone. 

The router providing the wireless access is not mine and I do not have access to it.  It belongs to the apartment complex that I live at.  It is a shared network with other residents.

It looks to me that the router somehow needs to be accessed.  If that is the only way to remedy my problem, then I will try to find out from the management if that is possible.  I assume that the router is rented from a local service provider who will charge to come out and make the changes.  Of course, that option would not be desireable.

I appreciate any other ideas that you may have to be able to connect all my devices via the wireless network to the printer...Please note.... I was able to print via the same wireless network from all my devices (except cell phone) with my previous Kodak wireless printer (which died).

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know that information Blondie1218.

The router has Mac Filtering setup on it. That means you have to add the Mac Address of the printer through the router software to allow the printer to receive a IP address from the router. The Mac Filtering is setup to prevent others from connecting some devices over the network. You would have to get in touch with management to see if this can be sorted out.

Print a Configuration Page from the printer, to get the printer's Mac address. Which you will need to provide to management to be able to add the printer as a network device.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. 

Unfortunately, due to security issues, management is not willing to  add the Mac Address of the printer through the router software to allow the printer to receive a IP address from the router.

One last question...if I were to return/exchange this printer, do you have a recommendation of another HP printer that would not require the router to add the Mac Address of the printer?

I thank you in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions:

1 visit hpconnected.com

2selected Devices tab

there was no Add a Device to click.

So, I am lost!?

HP Recommended

Hello gordon09,

Gemini02 asked me to take a look at your post as it seems you are having an issue connecting a printer to Web Services / HPConnected, is that correct? I checked the steps Gemini02 offered and see nothing of HPConnected or a Devices tab.. Could you have mistakenly replied to the wrong post?

I would like to help nonetheless, please confirm the printer, what specifically you are trying to do and any errors that you have gotten. 🙂

Thanks,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having this same issue.  My HP 8610 no longer sees my wireless network.  I have added the Mac address, and it still doesn't see the network.  I've restarted the printer, restarted the router and also reset the default network settings. I have other devices connected to the network, so it is broadcasting.  I tried adding it manually, but the printer still didn't see the network.  How do I get the printer to see my network? 

HP Recommended

Purchased 8610 yesterday and have spent couple of hours already trying to get it set up.  What a nightmare.   Ready to take it back to the store and exchange it with another brand.      Never had a problem setting up a printer before.

HP Recommended

The entire 8XXX series of printers have the same exact problem.  I have an Arris cable modem/router from time warner and two engenius EAP1200h access points hardwired to the router.  I have disabled the wifi from time warner cable modem/router becasue of know issues.  I was using WPA2 PSK AES and all devices access perfectly with great performance, access point roaming and fast handover.

I then went to connect my HP 8630 and failed evey time.  3 hours with tier one and their supervisor and no luck.  Had the same problem with my 8600 as well....exact same.  Only solution...take off all security on the Wifi networks...and the printer connects.  Add any level of security incluyding WEP, WPA or WPA2...and the printer times out.

Definitely going to return the printer....my canon and epson connect flawlessly.

BTW...HP Tech support did their best but even they were baffled.

IA

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.