Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2540
Windows 8.1

I have seen that other people have had this problem, I have followed all the recommendations on this site to no avail if I re-install everything then it works OK for while but going back to it at a later date then its says it offline although I can still print a test page from the HP print and scan doctor !!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello there! Welcome to the forums @stevegd

I read your post about the issues you are having with keeping your Deskjet 2540 connected wireless.

What comes to mind for me, would be an intermittent wireless issue, or even a firewall you may have running.

I would suggest trying these steps, which normally helps stabilize a wireless connection:

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection

Also, check your firewall settings to ensure the printer is allowed: How to Edit Firewall Settings

If the steps do not seem to help the connection, call us directly.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Happy HolidaysSmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried all the recommendations that you state, I have the printer 4 feet from my router, I have turned off (temporarily) the Firewall but the printer is still showing Offline and as I stated before I can print a test page from the Print & Scan Doctor.

I have just uninstalled and re-installed the device software (DJ_2540_188.exe for Windows 8.1 64bit) yet again and it all works OK, I have turned the PC & printer off and back on again and everything is still OK, however I have just tried my other Windows 8.1 64bit laptop and that is now showing offline !!

I cannot keep uninstalling & re-installing the s/w every time I want to print !!! please help.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey there stevegd,

Thanks for getting back to me. It seems as though something is happening on your Windows 8.1 system. As I mentioned, I would suggest giving us a call directly if my previous suggestions didn't help, as our technicians can remote connect to your PC to see what's happening and hopefully fix it for you.

I left the contact details in my message above.

Have a great day:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did see the contact details you mention but as the telephone numbers you give are non-geographic that means that it will cost me money to call them and I feel I shouldn't have to pay any more for something I have only just bought !.

Surely someone else has come across this problem on Windows 8.x

I have only got  Windows 8.1 wireless PC's (my Windows 7 PC is wired) so I assume that it is a specific Win 8.1 problem. Is there anyone reading this could you confirm that you have the same problem.

As you can probably tell I am not a happy customer.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions

Regards,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Just wondering if those nimrods ever got back to you.  I am having the exact same issue, and it has nothing to do with my firewall or wireless.  Both fine and have not changed since this printer worked fine 2 days ago.

HP Recommended

@RokyRakun ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions

Regards,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have tried getting information from the link "printer has connectionproblems" which you advised; there is NO information there!

Not much help!

So, a better more complete response would be appreciated please!

Jane

HP Recommended

Hi @Jane30,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

I see that you are having a trouble where the printer is showing offline. Try the steps below to fix the issue.

• First, assign a manual IP to your printer by obtaining the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now we need to reinstall the printer. Try the steps blow:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now Click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL48442/al-117577-4/DJ2540_188.exe and install the printer drivers for 8.1
  • In the connection window, choose “wireless” and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup.

Please find a couple of documents: 

Printer is Offline (Windows) - Click here

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection - Click here

Wireless Printer Setup (Windows) - Click here

Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Windows) - Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  

If they did, that's awesome!  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.