Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1006
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I upgraded my windows 7 to 10, printer drivers was downloaded automatically. But now printer prints page only after about 5 minutes. I've tried to manually reinstall driver, but driver installation stucks on about 20%. Can anyone help me?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @vykintazo,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're unable to get your printer working in Windows 10. I would be happy to assist you with this.

Where in the installation is it stopping?

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

I would try the steps within this guide, HP Printers - Driver Installation Stalls on Setup Screen (Windows 10 64-Bit).

When installing the full feature printer driver from the CD or the HP website for the first time on a Windows 10 64-bit computer, the installation hangs on the Printer Setup screen. This issue is specific to printers connected to a wired or wireless network that run HP Solution Center software.
Figure : Install hangs at approximately 90% on the Printer Setup screen
Image: Install hangs at approximately 90% on the Printer Setup screen

Step 1: Restart the computer
When the install hangs, restart your computer.
When Windows 10 restarts, try completing the installation.
  • If the software finished installing, the issue has been resolved.
  • If restarting your computer did not fix the issue, continue to the next solution.
Step 2: End running HP Installer processes
Open Task manager to end HP installation processes that are running.
  1. Search Windows for task manager, click the Task Manager app in the list of results, and click More details.
  2. On the Processes tab, right click any processes with HP Installer in the name, and then click End task.
    Figure : Example of HP Installer processes in Task Manager
    Example of HP Installer processes in Task Manager
Step 3: Uninstall any HP printer software
Uninstall any HP drivers or software that might have installed prior to the stalled installation.
  1. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the USB cable from the printer.
  2. Search Windows for uninstall a program, and click the Uninstall a program Control Panel setting in the list of results.
  3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, and then click Uninstall or Yes to confirm the uninstall.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal. If necessary, repeat these steps for any other HP printer-related software in the list.
  5. Restart the computer.
Step 4: Run a tool to repair the installation software
Run the HP Network Install Assistant to complete the software installation.
  1. Click HPNetworkInstallAssistant to download and open the automated tool through your web browser download process.
  2. Select your printer, click Install Software, and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
  3. Restart the computer when prompted to complete the installation.

Try this guide as well, HP Printers - Windows 10 Built-in Driver Failed to Install.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
After some time driver installed, but printer still prints very slow.
HP Recommended

Hi @vykintazo,

Thanks for getting back to me.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

How long does it take to print from the computer?

To determine if the issue is hardware or software related, please print this test page.

How long did it take for the test page to print? 

HP LaserJet P1005, P1006, P1009, P1505, and P1505n Printers - Printing a Demo Page

Introduction

A demo page contains examples of text and graphics. This document includes steps on how to print a demo page.
Printing a demo page
Follow the steps to print a demo page.
  1. Click Start.
  2. Click Printers and Faxes.
  3. Right-click HP LaserJet and then select Printing Preferences.
  4. Click the Services tab.
  5. Select Demo Page from the Print Information Pages drop-down menu.
  6. Click Print. The demo page prints.
    Figure : Demo page

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

The printer connected via USB.

Demo page takes the same as other document to print: about 5 min.

But now I noticed one strange thing in printer preferences: In the Printing Preferences I have A4 set as paper size, but the Printer Properties that Letter paper size is available. Maybe it's related to my issue?

Here's screenshot:

screenshot

HP Recommended

Hi @vykintazo,

It sounds you're experiencing a hardware issue. 

I would try a test page to see if that prints slow. Open and close the lid 5 times quickly to see if it prints a Self Test Report.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Are you using Genuine HP Toner?
What are the toner levels? If the toner is low replace it.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.

First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear.

I hope this helps. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. Printing starts very slow, like after 5 minutes, on P1006 printer after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However, the problem seems to be specific to Microsoft Excel 2007 for me. Printing in other programs (Adobe reader) or web browser starts immediately as usual.

The other user in my organization with a newly purchased P2035 printer has a completely opposite problem, printing starts very slow in Adobe reader but not in Excel.

I think there must be something wrong with the printer drivers, and their compatability with Windows 10, as far as I can tell.

HP Recommended

Hi @stdennis2,

If you're experiencing the issue in one application that doesn't necessarily mean  that there is an issue with the print driver.

I would try the steps within this guide, Repair an Office application.

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I've tried a solution as per this link:

HP Printers - Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

I removed the printer driver and re-installed it using the provided Printer Install Wizard (though the wizard said the printer couldn't be installed with the wizard and instead Windows automatically installed a driver). The slow-to-start-printing seems to also include Adobe Reader like my colleague now so I believe it's something to do with the driver and Windows 10 compatability issue rather than program-specific.

HP Recommended

Hi @stdennis2,

This could be a combination of issues. 

Please try all solutions provided for best results.

Click here and try downloading and installing the driver from HP.com

If the issues persists, I would try a new user profile, system restore, or you may need to revert back to a previous version of Windows. 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.